Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dee,

Insurance usually covers this surgery. I had it done and my insurance never
      blinked an eye (no pun intended). It is needed to cut down on the exposure to
      the cornea and thus is medically neccessary. If your insurance company has
      any questions about the procedure have your Doctor (not the staff) call the
      insurance carrier and explain the need and you should be OK.

Jake

Anonymous

Hi all,

If anyone has had this surgery could you tell me if this is
        generally covered under the majority of health insurance plans?
        Do the insurance companies consider this Cosmetic surgery?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Dee

Anonymous

Dear All

Had mymuscle surgery about a week ago, and so glad it is over with. They put me under a general to cut the muscle and try, and Ican say try to give me single vision. After about 4 hours, I was taken to the office to make the fine tuning with adjustable sutures. That was the bad stuff. The pain has subsided, and the double vision at a distance is gone, but I CAN”t Read. Really frustrating. My question is will that part of my vision return on it’s own. They seem to have the wait and see attitude. I don’t think I want to go through any more surgery Let me know if any of you have had the reading difficulty after muscle surgery, and did it straighten itself out? Thanks so much for all your elp. Shirley

Anonymous

Hi Shirley,
            I don’t want to discourage you but not all muscle surgeries are successful the first time. My Opthalmologist, who has an excellent reputation and is well known, explained to me that he had an 80% success rate with the first surgery. He does many many muscle surgeries. He explained that before I had the surgery, however, I went in expecting to be in that 80% success. Unfortunately I was not. I know what you mean about the fine tuning adjustments being awful. I wanted to get it over sooo badly I don’t think I was completely accurate when the doctor was asking me the questions concerning my vision.

I also know what you mean about not wanting to go through any more surgery. I, (which is apparently unusual) went through a month of excruciating pain after the surgery. It is still too fresh in my mind so I am holding off having another surgery. Meanwhile my Ophthal gave me some exercises to do that might help. I had extensive testing again last week. There was slight improvement. This is after four months. Sometimes my eyes are OK and sometimes the double vision is very bad. I never know when I will get a bout of it, although, I do know it happens more often when I am tired or stressed.

Shirley, if you just had your surgery last week you should be going for a follow-up appointment in the next couple of weeks and then your Ophthal should give you some more answers.

Meanwhile, hang in there and know my thoughts are with you.

Take care, SAS

Anonymous

Hi Shirley,
              I had muscle surgery exactly 8 weeks ago today. After the surgery my eyes were ultra sensitive to light either indoors or out. Plus they were tearing constantly too.
              After six weeks they improved dramatically. i may need surgery down the road for someting to do with the tear duct. I had a tear plug put in before but did not work well. Other than that i just had a full eye exam and my eyes were tested the best they have been in two years. (Hurray!) i suffered a little bit but give it time. I am sure it will improve. Are your eyes still blood shot? I can still see where they cut into the eye it is like a white sharp cut. Best of luck to you and if you need to chat feel free to e-mail me.

Dee

Anonymous

After 18 months of double vision I had eye muscle surgery. The surgeon told me that following the surgery I would experience a sensation of sand in my eyes. (It felt more like glass!) The damage to my muscles was quite extensive but the doctor felt that he had been able to repair my eyes to bring them back to a near normal state. The morning following the surgery the glass sensation was gone and when I looked out of the window I had single vision again and did not have to hold my head back to see. What a good feeling. A post-op visit to the surgeon that morning was positive. By evening my vision went bananas. Everything was distorted and I wasn’t seeing very well at all. Down went my spirits. The next morning I spoke with the doctor and he explained that it would take a while for my brain to re-program itself to the surgery and single vision.

I could understand the explanation but after living in such a little world with only close vision available for such a long time it was such a blow and I was very depressed. Slowly the vision improved – a little bit each day. I wish that I had kept a journal so that I could tell you how long it took for my eyes to stabilize and my vision to clear up. I would estimate that it took about 2 months. So hang in there and I hope that it gets better for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.