Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I am sure there are others out there having the same issues. I have had Graves disease for 20+yrs and type 1diabetes for 10+ yrs.

I am having trouble getting enough carbs in my diet with the low iodine diet. When I eat the fruit it spikes my sugar as I am not getting the protein and fats at the same time to allow my body to slowly absorb the carbs. Any ideas? I usually eat wild rice mixed with quinoa or flax seed for dinner and mix benefited in a glass of water when I have fruit, but I’m not able to do that on this diet.

This is my third flare up of the Graves disease and have opted for the radioactive iodine treatment. Just need to find a way to keep the blood sugar steady for the week of the low iodine diet.

Also I have seen conflicting info on whether I can have diet soda and apple sauce (I use a natural one -apples sugar water and lemon juice)

Thank you in advance for any information or clarification.

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hello and welcome – ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors’ Association, Inc. has excellent information on the low iodine diet on their website:

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

http://thyca.org/pap-fol/lowiodinediet/

The link above includes a free collection of recipes – if you have a couple of hours to spare, it might be helpful to prep and freeze some items advance. I did this when I followed the low-iodine diet prior to having my uptake scan (which not all doctors require, but mine did).

Hope that all goes well!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.