Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I was diagnosed with Graves almost a year ago and had RAI over the summer. I’ve been on levothyroxine for about four months, currently 100 mcg. I just had lab tests the other day, and unless I’m mistaken my levels are all within the normal range now. However, I also was tested for glutamate and cholesterol. My glutamate was at the upper range of normal, and for the first time in my life (I’m in my 60s), my cholesterol was above average. Could there be a connection with the thyroid problems? I don’t think I’ve significantly changed any aspects of my lifestyle that might have caused the spike in cholesterol in particular. I’m seeing a new endocrinologist in a few days (the doctor who ordered the lab tests was an internist, also new to me, due to some insurance changes). I’m sure she’ll be able to address any associations between all of these other potential chronic health problems, but just wondering while I wait.

Liz1967

Your cholesterol will rise if you are hypothyroid i.e. high TSH. If you have gained weight from being hypothyroid, this could affect both glucose and cholesterol. Also, they have changed the ranges for what is considered normal cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure. I personally think this puts way too many people on drugs they probably do not need. With no change in cholesterol values and great ratios, I am suddenly hi cholesterol too.

Kimberly
        Online Facilitator

As Liz1967 noted, there is definitely a connection with thyroid and cholesterol. In the last few years, medical guidance has been updated to recommend thyroid function testing for any new identified cases of high cholesterol – and getting thyroid levels under control before recommending meds!

Kimberly
          Online Facilitator

Two minutes after posting, found this interesting article from the American Thyroid Association!

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/ct.2019%3B31.8-10

Cervantes

They still say further research is needed in that article. I hope someone’s on it. haha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.