Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have been taking .112 micro of Levoxyl. I have been sporadically experiencing swelling in my hands. I was given a week’s supply of synthroid, instead of Levoxyl. I notice that the swelling was not present. When I started taking the Levoxyl I again notice the swelling. Is this something that has happened to someone else. Could a weeks supply of the Synthroid be felt by me.

Anonymous

The replacement hormones for T4, which come under a variety of names, all contain levothyroxine sodium as the base ingredient, which would be used the same in your body no matter WHAT the brand name of the pill is. The pills do vary from brand to brand, however, in the more inert aspects –i.e., the “fillers” and food colorings used to make the active chemical into pill form. It is usually these ingredients, and an individual’s response to them, that might cause an unusual reaction, whether it is an allergy to a specific filler or color dye, an inability to fully digest the pill, or whatever. I looked at the “makeup” of a couple of the replacement hormone pills once, and discovered that one, for instance, contained talc while another one did not. The dyes used were slightly different. So, generally speaking, sometimes someone cannot take one of the brands without side effects, but another brand will be OK.

I hope this helps.

Bobbi

Anonymous

I took RAI four weeks ago. About 7 days back my right side began to swell horribly. The left side was swollen after about 5 days…but still only 1/2 of what was in the right leg/ankle/foot. My endo ordered a TSH and T4 to see if i was going hypo. The results were T4 normal (mid range) and TSH low .2 (seemed good for me! was .001 a month back)…to make this long story short…is this swelling a sysmptom others have had? I read something someplace about unilateral non pitting edema…now can’t find it again. Email if you like Cfrakes101@aol.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.