Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi there.
      I’ve been experimenting with different ways of eating for over a year now. First I gave up dairy for 6 months (enabled me to get rid of all my sinus meds!). Then I went Vegan for 6 months…. didn’t do anything good for me and eating too much soy made things worse. Then I gave up gluten and that really improved my colitis. Now I’m taking it one step further and giving up carbs (staying at 20g per day).

I’m liking it and want to give it a full six months but have been reading that it can mess with our TSH levels. I know it has an affect on the thyroid, but since I don’t HAVE a thyroid, I’m not sure if it will do anything (negative or positive) for my TSH levels.

I’m pretty sure I already feel my levels shifting (the old familiar feelings just started Thursday) but if I decide I like this way of eating I will deal with that, have my blood checked in 2 months, and adjust the Synthroid accordingly.

Anyone else eating Keto or low carb?
      Sue

AzGravesGuy

I’ve been Vegan Keto for almost a year now. It’s awesome!

It’s not for everyone, lol, but eating 150g of fat, 40g of protein and less than 20 carbs a day suits me just fine. My cholesterol is still circling 140. I don’t feel hungry.

I had to adjust my Synthroid up as my body fat dropped. I also discovered my body has a boomerang effect with dosage changes. It now takes me a full 12 weeks to level out after a dosage change. My TSH is lower at 8 weeks than it is at 12. Weird. Not sure if Keto related.

SueAndHerZoo
          AzGravesGuy wrote:
          I’ve been Vegan Keto for almost a year now. It’s awesome!

It’s not for everyone, lol, but eating 150g of fat, 40g of protein and less than 20 carbs a day suits me just fine. My cholesterol is still circling 140. I don’t feel hungry.

I had to adjust my Synthroid up as my body fat dropped. I also discovered my body has a boomerang effect with dosage changes. It now takes me a full 12 weeks to level out after a dosage change. My TSH is lower at 8 weeks than it is at 12. Weird. Not sure if Keto related.

Thank you for that reply – it really made my day! But my first reaction was: “How in hell is he doing keto while vegan!?!?!?” My diet is so full of fatty meat I can’t imagine what I’d eat if I were still vegan!” I mean, you can’t eat grains, and you have to really limit your vegetables and fruits, so what are you eating???

That’s really interesting what you said about it now taking 12 weeks to adjust to med dose changes. I’m really stumped by the lousy way I’ve been feeling the past few days and I KNOW it’s all dose-change related, but I also know it’s been 8 weeks since my dose change and these symptoms are usually gone by now. I wonder why being keto would change our sensitivity or reaction to our thyroid meds.

I also wonder why you had to INCREASE your meds when your body fat dropped….wouldn’t you think you would need less with a weight loss? But I found that when I gave up gluten, my TSH shot WAY up so I, too, have increased. I’m going to wait till I stop feeling these symptoms and go have blood drawn to see if another adjustment is needed. I’d kill for some consistency right now so I hope I don’t find a reason why I have to give up this way of eating because right now I’m really loving it.

Thanks again!
          Sue

AzGravesGuy

I eat a lot of coconut, coconut oil and raw cacao butter.
            It was challenging at first but once I got my macros down, it clicked.

A pound of steamed broccoli drenched in oil and sometimes garlic every day.
            A salad with nuts and seeds and a whole avocado….every day.

I put mct oil and raw cacao in my morning coffee.
            I make hot chocolate with cocoa powder, raw cacao, dried coconut milk and stevia.
            Fat bombs, fat bombs, fat bombs, yum!

I love being keto adjusted. If I know my day is going to be busy, I can pack a 30g piece of raw cacao and eat it mid morning. Full until dinner. No grumbles no grumpiness, no road rage. Lol
            Once you burn fat instead of sugar, a small serving of pure fat can keep you feeling full for a really long time.

Eat to live, not live to eat. With Keto…I should say don’t forget to eat. Lol

There are some foods I miss, bread of any kind being the most mourned. Followed by pasta and then popcorn. Movies are not the same without popcorn.

However, the trade off…the effect of the Keto diet…has been life altering. Much like my TT, I wouldn’t change it for the world.

The med increase according to my dr is because muscle uses more T4 than fat. Now that I am substantially less fat and more muscle (regardless of weight) at this proportion I burn more T4.

SueAndHerZoo

Sounds like you’ve got this down pat! I’m only 3 weeks in so still experimenting with what to eat and when, and I’m not keto-adjusted yet so I’m sure once I am it will be easier to figure out what to eat, because I’ll be eating so much less!

I have an additional challenge since I have colitis, but giving up carbs has seemed to help that. Still can’t do any green, leafy vegetables but maybe someday. I need to go make some fat bombs!!!!!

If you don’t mind, I may be picking your brain since you’re now a keto master. :) I’ll do it via private message, though so we don’t bore the others… are you active on any keto forums?
              Sue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.