Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello, I used to post here years ago when I was first diagnosed with Graves Disease. That was 11 years ago. I had a thyroid extinto after being unable to take anti-thyroid medication since caused my liver enzymes to be at 8 times the normal level being only on 5 mg of Tapazole I think it was (generic). Anyway, the thing that just won’t go away after all these years is bad sleep and anxiety which has gotten worse. My sleep is interrupted bc I wake up, and I often have bad dream or vivid ones. I can’t handle negative or positive stress. It’s getting pretty bad. I have tried supplements and even prescription anti-depressants that are supposed to help with sleep and anxiety. None really good bc of the side effects. L-Theanine is the closest I’ve gotten to something that kind of works. I’m just frustrated. I feel like I have to stay home and do nothing if I want my sleep and anxiety to be in check. Does anyone else suffer with this or has suffered from this after thyroidectomy? I take Synthroid. My doctor won’t prescribe Armor. I tried 1/4 of a 5 mcg of Cytomel with my Synthroid, but I went hyperthyroid on it after a week. I just want to sleep and feel well and not have anxiety. 🙁

Raquel Hyduk

I haven’t had a thyroidectomy but I have had Graves disease for 3-years and have had a tough time getting it under control. I feel ya as I live in a constant of anxiety and am exhausted largely due to sleep deprivation. I can’t remember the last time I was able to experience restorative sleep and feel overly emotional all of the time which is highly annoying. Yes, I know it could be worse but that doesn’t take away from the fact that I still don’t feel well most days.

Kimberly
        Online Facilitator

Sure wish we had a better answer for this – in a recent Zoom support group, about half of participants struggled with getting restorative sleep. It’s worth looking at sleep hygiene (limiting screen time before bed, NOT using the bed for TV, emails, etc., having a bedtime routine, etc.) as well as finding help if you can for the anxiety issues – which is like throwing gasoline on the insomnia fire. You might also consider joining our Facebook group, which tends to be a lot more active than this forum. Look for us at Facebook/GDATF and select join/visit group.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.