Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Sydna –

I’ve been on Tap for 21 years. No problems at all with the Tap.

Only probs were with the drs. What, is there a script they follow?

Chris

Anonymous

My current endo is also not very positive about ATD’s, although he’ll prescribe them if that’s what the patient wants. He feels that ATD’s are fairly toxic, and that RAI is a safer, more practical alternative. When I first went to him last May, I had been on Tapazole for a year and a half (feeling lousy most of that time.) He began weaning me off of it, over a 4 month period. I’ve now been off Tapazole completely since last September (though still taking a small dose of Levothroid), and all my tests are normal.

I’m glad that I have a doctor who shares his opinions, but is willing to allow me to make my own choices.

Anonymous

Sydna,

If you as you stated in your post, you feel worse on ATD’s than being hyper; then RAI may be the right choice for you. It’s decision that you no doubt have to seriously consider.

From my personal experience my first endo was very much like yours (almost the same script . . . just as Christine alluded to in her reply).

You have to listen to your body when making your choice. I had no problems on ATD’s and I was on them for 4 years before I achieved a remission. I had no side effects whatsoever. I am an ex-smoker of over 10 years and I don’t know how one can compare the likes of smoking to ATD use. With smoking I clearly had a huge array of health problems directly related to smoking. ATD use . . . Hmmmmmm It would be a stretch to say that I suffered from ANY ill effects at all. Thats just my personal experience.

Again, the key here is listen to your body. Make a decision that suits your individual situation. Your body speaks louder than anything or anyone else.

I was recently at my Doctors office for a full medical. My Dr. in retrospect agrees that RAI would have been a mistake in my particular situation. Thats just my situation though, I realize that everyone is different.

Regards,

James

Anonymous

Hey all, Just had to post today as I saw a brand new endo for my first visit. I had to switch due to insurance changing and had been with my other one for 6 years. He is considered tops in the field and specializes in thyroid disorders and GD in particular. He practices out of Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC (aka the “Lenox Hilton” as the nurses there told me once!) He has been practicing for many years and is up on the recent developments in GD. We discussed my history in depth. He said, “If you had come to me with the results you had from your thyroid scan and blood work indicating Graves’ and hyperactivity, as it was, there is no way I would have put you on ATDs. As far as I am concerned, ATDs are FAR more dangerous to the patient than the small dose of radioactive iodine that is administered for RAI treatment.” He said that when hyper patients come to him, unless there is some very CLEAR reason why they may go into remission, such as a woman post-partum who is experiencing temporary hyperactive symptoms, he absolutely recommends RAI right away. No waiting. No messing with ATDs. Nothing. His reasoning is this: the negative side effects AS WELL AS the POTENTIAL negative side effects of the ATDs are not worth the risk to the patient because it has been proven that truly hyper patients diagnosed with Graves’will only achieve remission temporarily and even then only in about 20% of cases. His second reason is that the ATDs are potentially extremely harmful for people to take at all. He said, and I quote,”I don’t want to be getting a call from east podunk somewhere in the middle of the night from some emergency room medical school resident saying that my patient’s white blood cell count is over the top and they are in real physical danger as a result.” He even went so far as to say that he “eqautes the dangers of smoking cigarettes on one’s body to the effects of ATDs on the body. They are one in the same.” HMMMMMMM! This is the first time I have heard any endo say this. I think it is an interesting argument in many ways. In my case, remission was CLEARLY NOT possible when I was diagnosed and for me personally, I felt MUCH worse on the ATDs than I did being hyper. I mean I really felt horrible on them so I wonder if going straight to the RAI in such cases might save us some of the agony? Any thoughts??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.