Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dear Shannon
      I really feel for you for what your going through,and as much as I hate to tell you this,it probably has just began for you as it will probably get alot worse,even though I wish it wouldn’t,but with my experience it dosen’t get better.I too also worked at the hospital where I live and I’am not working there anymore and you know Shannon I was a 15 year employee,didnt seem to matter to them once it all started and believe me it hurts like hell when this happens ,but they even the ones you worked beside for many years they seem not to be able to handle all this time off work,they start to take it personel thats when my troubles began.Pisses you off when they all understood in the beginning,but when graves really starts up like the eyes and skin problems,seems the caring and understanding wares off for the bosses and the people you work beside.Don’t worry Shannon we are here for you even though we are not your boss or the people you work with but we will be here for you when they probably won’t be as they do get sick of us,even though that hurts I in my opinion believe that to be true,hope this helps abit knowing your not alone in your troubles at work,take care Shannon and my prayers are with you Barb

Anonymous

GET A LAWYER NOW!!! If you can’t afford to retain one then check out legal aid/ women’s law groups/ law groups who help “disabled”. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! Sit down and write a log off your time-off for treatments etc. Document who you informed and how and their reaction. Document all your telephone conversations with “superiors”. Write down dates, times, places, quotes. Do not make it obvious at work that you are doing this. If you get hauled into a meeting with “superiors” and they make accusations or any mention of your illness, document it as soon as you leave the meeting. Be very careful how you respond in a situation like this. Tell them you prefer to give a response after you have consulted with your attorney and stick to it. PLEASE get an attorney and listen to her/his advice.

Anonymous

I totally understand your frustration. Even when we feel terrible, we come to work and still have pissy bosses about it. Mine even asks me if I was up partying too late when I come in looking like – well, come to think of it, I do look like I “was out partying” – but unfortunately I wasn’t having any fun like that! I guess I don’t really look sick, never lost any weight (actually gained about 5) and only puffy, tired-looking eyes — would they be happier if we passed out in front of their eyes??? Grrrr!! I say, screw ’em – don’t quit. After you get well, you can find a new job and have a good work record instead of finding a new job now and still having to take off from this disease. Good Luck!

Anonymous

This is good advice. I have a friend who is counsel for the ACLU in Billings Montana and she told me that Grave’s was covered under the ADA. Check with your local Human Rights Office.

Mitakuye Oyasin
            Val

Anonymous

Hello all, I was diagnosed with Graves’ on New Year’s Eve. I opted for an ablation, and ended up not being in work for a week and a half as I work in very close quarters with others in a lab setting. My boss was totally supportive and even told the other members of my staff that they needed to be able to cope without me each day for whatever reason in the future as I would probably have other problems. This support is now TOTALLY GONE and I am very frustrated. Soon after the ablation I had some other problems develop, mainly with my eyes and skin. My eyes were so itchy that I ended up giving myself a small scratch on my cornea. Needless to say, I missed a day of work to visit the opthamalagist and then I had to go get new glasses, etc as I normally wear contacts. The following week, I had a horrible outbreak of eczema, related to what I suspect is a latex allergy. Again, I took a day off of work because I was so itchy everywhere and my hands were all broken out. I visited my GP that day and was treated as well as was referred to an allergist. It was actually smart for me to miss work because I work in a lab with HIV and broken out hands are not acceptable! In addition to all of this, I have had a roller-coaster emotional status and left work one day around 1pm (again, with my boss’ approval) as the other people in my lab were driving me mad and I just couldn’t deal with it. Now, this week, I have suddenly become very tired. My endocrinologist told me that if I ever felt a change in my symptoms, to *immediately* come in and have my labwork done (I have a standing order there). Yesterday, I left work 2 hours early to do just that. There was nothing going on in the lab and my co-workers were actually shooing me away. I suppose I should insert in here somewhere that my workplace is 65 miles away from my home, so driving takes its toll. Anwyay, today my alarm went off at 5:50am and I could *not* get up, I was so exhausted. I had gone to bed quite early last night, so it wasn’t from a lack of sleep, I am simply *exhausted*. I fell back asleep and woke up after 8am (the time I am supposed to be at work). So I called both my lab and my boss leaving messages saying that I was too exhausted to drive and that I would be sleeping, call if there are any problems. I promptly fell asleep. My boss called me at 9:20am (prompting this message) and went off. She told me that when I was back that we were going to have to sit and “discuss” this because I have been missing too much work lately and one week it was because of “dry eyes” and then because of “dry skin” (and I have told her the full problems) and that as a manager it just isn’t working for her because she expects me to be there blah blah blah. She then went on to say that I didn’t have any sick leave left (duh- I was *out* for the ablation!!) and that even before that I had taken a lot of sick time. Again, she is forgetting that I took sick time for every doctor’s appointment I had, which were many! She told me that she is going to have to talk to her boss about what we should do because essentially, if it isn’t one thing with me it is another. I think what pisses me off the most is the complete change in her attitude, and the feeling I get that she thinks I am making everything up. It *does* cause me to miss a lot of work, especially since all my doctors are in my home town, not in the town where I work. Plus, all the other staff members have actually been out a lot lately themselves for doctors appts, being sick, etc, and I do not see anything being directed towards them. This weekend I had spoken with my boss (last weekend was the eczema outbreak) and told her that I wasn’t sure if I would be able to continue working in the lab because of a possible latex allergy, but I wouldn’t know for a month. She got very upset and told me that she wouldn’t support me moving to a non-lab job in our organization and “off the record” to look for another job immediately. She called later and an alernate idea was reached, that of removing all latex out of the lab. I am 99% certain it is that latex, *aggravated* by the freaked out immune system from Graves’ as I have been sensitive to latex for some time and do not wear latex gloves myself.
              Anyway, I apologize for how long this is, but I really needed to vent and this is the only place I could do so where others would understand. I would appreciate hearing other peoples
              experiences in this subject!
              Thanks
              Shannon

Anonymous

I forgot to mention a little piece of federal legislation called the “Family Medical Leave Act” which should apply in this case. It’s been in existance for over 4 years and your employer has to be aware of it – they apparently hope you aren’t.

Anonymous

This could be worth checking into. Can you file a persons with disability act at your personal office? Just another way to cover your act!

JAN

Anonymous

Hi,
                    I understand what you ae going through! Someone else had mentioned this too but you are entitled to 12 workweeks a year under the:FAmily Medical Leave Act”
                    If you have depleted all of your sick time, personal and vacation days this law applies. It is listed on the internet somewhere I think in Excite but you have four criteria to be met. If i remember which you qualify is to have a debilitating illness that requires frequent medical attention. You must have worked a certain number of days and you need to have a letter from your physician explaining the circumstance. This should be kept on record with your personnel office. Hope this helps!

Dee

Anonymous

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far! I had actually looked into the Family Medical Leave thing, but I understood that you didn’t get paid during that time, which is something that I can’t afford to do. I didn’t know about Graves’ being covered under ADA though, that is something I will definitely look into just in case. I also can’t afford to retain a lawyer right now, but I will start documenting everything that is going on for future reference! Thanks again!
                      Shannon

Anonymous

Wow Shannon, let me sent you a hug from afar. I realize that this
                        message is late but I have been on vacation.

I think that people want to support you intellectually. Or in least
                        my case I know this to be true. My friends,family and co-workers
                        all want to help, but when it starts to incringe on their space,
                        support is not as easy as it sounds.

In my case, I look healthy. For the most part I function very well.
                        Like you, I have numerous doctors appointments and annoying extra
                        symptoms. Graves related or not. I work the late shift. I close
                        the Library. When I am sick, or need time off that means that
                        someone must cover my shift. For awhile, it really hurt me because
                        no one would volunteer or offer to help me. Then I put in an official
                        protest. Now my supervisor deals with that aspect of getting
                        coverage. It was totally unfair that the day shift could take off
                        anytime they darn well pleased and I had to beg to have off.

I also find that people have very short memories. I have explained
                        numerous times to my family that graves is a chronic condition
                        and chronic conditions never go away, so the statement “Aren’t
                        you cured yet?” just doesn’t fly with me any more.

I am just very vocal now. I remind the people at work of my
                        rights. I use the broken record routine, I just state my case
                        over and over. eventually it seems to work out.

*HUGS* Caroyn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.