Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Oh, dear, oh dear, I just knew it. I had RAI December 11, and felt almost normal for a while. T4 was coming down, I gained back some weight, even started back at the gym. Then last week, I started losing weight and noticed my pulse was rapid again. I felt weak and breathless after minor exertions. Friday’s lab work came back today: T4 = 23 (normal range 4.5 – 12), T3 = 221 (normal goes up to 137) and undetectable TSH. Boo Hoo! What’s going on? Doc thinks levels were lower at first because I’d been on meds before RAI. But what is happening now?! Is my thyroid growing back? I had 10 m.curies – should have been plenty! Now what?! Has anyone else had this experience? Please post – I check daily.

TIA,
      smorg

Anonymous

How fast, and well, the RAI treatment works, has a lot to do with how the individual patient’s thyroid responds to the treatment. Sometimes, and it is rare, some of the thyroid cells are simply “stunned” by the iodine, and become less active for a while, then regain strength later. Typically, the pattern of improvement after RAI is slow, and can take anywhere from three to six months to “normalize”.

I do understand how frustrating it is, though, to feel terrific for a while and then get zapped again by hyper. Even very slow progress is probably better than feeling like a hormonal yoyo.

Hoping you feel better soon,

Bobbi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.