Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

first, either get a watch with a seconds hand, or have a friend with one help you. It might be easier to have a friend help you time this to keep you from gettign distracted.

Find your pulse: You can find it in one of 2 veins on the sides of your throat, or on your inner wrist, where the vessels and tendons can be easily felt throught the skin. Be patient, it might take a little time to find it. DO NOT USE YOUR THUMB as your thumb has a small pulse as weel, and might make it more difficult to read/or give you your readings when checking someone else’s pulse. You can check anyone’s pulse this way. If you have trouble finding it yourself, ask someone to show you. Nurses can do this very quickly the next tiem you go see your doctor.

Counting the beats per minute: You can do this in a couple of ways, the simplest is to count your pulse for 15 or 30 seconds, whichever is easier. Take the number of beats you got and multiply them either by 4 if you took a 15 second reading, or 2 if you took a 30 second reading. This takes less time than a full minute count.

I THINK, the average resting pulse for an adult should fall somewhere between 70-90 bpm but I am not sure. If your pulse rate is over 100, contact your doctor.

Anonymous

I had a weird experience with my Endo. While waiting for my appointment the nurse did the usual basic exam before the doctor came in. I had just taken my pulse in the waiting room and it was around 120 bpm. The nurse took it and said “64 – that’s good”! I questioned her and told her that it had not been under 100 in weeks. She just shrugged it off and said “hmmm, well it’s 64 NOW”. When she walked out of the room I took it again – this time for an entire minute to make sure I wasn’t multipling wrong (I have a 4 yr degree and have worked in accounting for 10 years – I know how to multiply!). Again – it was 120 bpm. When the doc came in I asked him about it saying – maybe I’m counting wrong. He took it and said “your right, her number is inaccurate – its 74 not 64”. I about fell over! 74??!! It’s 120!!!! After he left the room I took it again and MY number was accurate.

What would be the reason for the discrepency???? I don’t understand how a medical doctor and nurse can miscount! I took on my wrist and neck without using my thumb. It is VERY strong and can EASILY be counted.

Anyone else have a similar experience??

Serio
        FL

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.