Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

For Troy Boy

You are not the only Graves Warrior with the teeth problem. My doc says Graves short circuits an enzyme needed for healthy enamel. My upper molars have been in a process of disintegration for several years even though GD is only a recent diagnosis. Other symptoms that were affecting me for years were interrupted sleep, joint pain, muscle weakness (legs, in particular) then, more recently, tremors and dramatic weight loss. Not being a large person, I didn’t have that much weight to lose, so I finally headed for the doctor. Blood tests confirmed Graves. I’ve been on meds for two months now and the improvements I’ve seen are that the tremors are gone and for the first time in years I sleep the night through. No meds will help the teeth though. It’s denture time. It appears my case is not severe and I have have not suffered any eye problems (yet. There is always “yet”). Good luck and I hope you have a good dentist.

Anonymous

Don’t know if there is a definitive answer to this, but my own personal experience is that graves is bad for your teeth. Having a wisdom tooth pulled set off my gd, and any time I go to the dentist I get sick. My doctor finally said no dental work – period! Unfortunately I have had three teeth pulled in the last year and a half because they wouldn’t even consider root canal. Two were done on this past new years eve and I’m still recouperating from the bronchial pneumonia I got courtesy of anesthesia. Studies-wise may no connection, but for me personallly, yes there is a connection.

Anonymous

Hello all,
          Can anyone tell me….
          If they experience problems with there teeth due to graves disease?
          Does graves actually contribute to your teeth getting bad?
          Are many dentist aware of graves and what affect it has or may have?

I’ve heard that graves robs your teeth of some nutrient and therfor
          your teeth go bad quickly…..Any truth to this…..

Can I do anything to help slow the process of tooth decay other than frequent trips to the dentist?

Any and all info on this subject is greatly appreciated….
          Thanks Everyone…
          God Bless
          TroyBoy

Anonymous

Graves tends to break down the tooth”s enamel, Troy.

Anonymous

Jan
              Do you know why Graves” destroys tooth enamel? My teeth keep getting worse, despite my best efforts. Also, could Graves’ affect gum health?

Thanks for your information. After 17 years of going it alone with this disease, it is comforting to find others who are going through this stuff too, and amazing to find some explanations for seemingly unrelated problems.
              Elisa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.