Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I was diagnosed with graves disease 10 years ago. I had the radio active iodine therapy and then the decompression surgery. After the decompression surgery my eye lid muscles were so distorted that I have had about 5 reconstructive eye lid surgeries. Within the past year I have begun to notice that I am developing muscle atrophy. The muscles are pulling a way from the elbow on my left arm. I do not appear to have any actual muslcle ability lose. Which I am thankful for. I do experience pain from time to time. I have seen an orthopedic, a nuerologist and next will visit a endocrinologis        . If anyone has experienced the same symptoms, I appreciate a response. Thanks, cab

Anonymous

The only muscle experiences I remember are weakness and muscle softness
        especially in the legs with hyperthyroidism and muscle spasms with
        hypothyroidism. Both went away when thyroid counts got in the normal
        range. Generally speaking, muscle problems correct very early in recovery.
        Good luck. Have your doctors told you this is definitely related to your
        thyroid problem??

Anonymous

I was first diagnosed with Graves disease in March, 1996. I am currently taking 450 mg. PTU a day, as well as Atenelol twice a day. I feel fine now. However, I have been told that the PTU is probably not going to work for me, and that I should consider RAI. I have also been told that there is a possibility that this treatment will make my eye symptoms worse. I have regular appointments with a neuro-opthamologist, who is talking about surgery to correct the eye problem. Help! Any advice ?

Anonymous

Hiya Jane

Usually they won’t consider the surgery unless your vision is threatened or the eyes have stabilized for a couple of years and do it for mostly cosmetic reasons. My eyes are going back in my head quite nicely after four years. Wonder how they would look now if I had surgery ! Seems they would be awfully deepset now.

Bruce

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. No that decision has not been verified. I will be seeing an endocrinlogist next week and it will be interesting what his ideas. The orthopedic and the neurologist both have never seen anything like it and can not figure what is causing it. Will get back later after the visit to the Dr.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.