Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I assumed it was either the Graves or ALL the medicine they had him on that had turned my 23 yr old fiances’ head almost completely gray. I curious to know if someone has an anwser.

Anonymous

I remember reading that there is an association between Graves and premature gray hair — not necessarily in the same person, but within the same family.

Anonymous

Yes, there is a connection. I’ve never read how/why it is
          connected, but premature gray hair happens with GD.
          I don’t have a lot, but I refuse to color mine away. I
          consider it my GD war paint. :)

Sheila H.

Anonymous

Does anyone know if there is a link between premature gray hair and graves disease. I have graves and started to get premature gray hair very early.Just wondering!

Anonymous

I first started getting gray hairs in junior high school and then it was really bad in high school. But, when I was in college and currently, I don’t have any more gray hairs! Maybe the gray hairs just never grew back because I think that my hair is thinner.

Anonymous

I’ve heard that graves patients tend to look younger than their actual age, that is certainly true w/ me, maybe graves for some strange reason stopped your greying.

Anonymous

This may sound strange but is there any correlation between graves disease and gray hair? I am 46 and 90% gray, started going gray just after being diagnosed six weeks after my first daughter was born in 1988, I was 29. She is 17 now and I’m almost completely gray…I thought I read some where that graves disease causes premature graying…any comments?

What about nails lifting from the nail bed????

Anonymous

Graves Disease does not cause grey hair. I think what you may have read (because I read the same thing) is that pre-mature grey haired people, in some studies, have a tendency to have auto-immune disease. In other words many people who have pre-mature grey hair also have some type of auto-immune disease. I’m not sure if this is true or not, I’ve been to many NGDF Conferences and I wasn’t in a room full of people with grey hair!

Nails lifting from the nail bed is one of the signs of Graves Disease. I know this happened to me and I couldn’t figure out what was going on with my nails. It did go ahead, so don’t worry about your nails.

Diane B On-Line Facilitator

Anonymous

Does anyone know if there is a correclation between GD and Gray hiar. I thought I read somewhere that GD can make you premature gray. I was diagnosed in 1989 (29) noticed an unusual amount of gray hair that year and now at 46 am almost completly gray (90%). Any commemts?

Also, anyone have problems with their nails pulling away or detaching from the nail bed?

Anonymous

I keep mine covered up too…but boy is it getting harder and harder…

By the way, I think I read your story on your web page last night…are you Diane of Diane’s story?

Anonymous

I’m not sure what story on the web you read about Diane. It might have been Dianne W.’s story. She is Dianne W and I’m Diane B. Confusing for us Graves Folks isn’t it! haha. You’ll get it figured out in a while. Just remember things do get better.

Diane B On-Line Facilitator

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.