Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I can’t say what the truth is, but all my doctors have told me if my disease is being controlled that there is no worry from most things that say “do not take if you have a thyroid condition,” but it also gose on to say “except under the advice and supervision of a physician. I know for a fact that this is a FDA regulated thing. If an over-the-counter medicine contains a certain ingredient that is on the FDA’s list, then it must contain that warning. Most of the time it is only viable to those of you that are still fighting most of the symptoms. Also, you should consult your doctor, simply by a phone call. The FDA strictly governs what over-the-counter medicines can print on their labels. Most of the time, the labels are merely a precausion for the company from legal matters.
      However, I disagree with solely asking a pharmacist. A pharmacist can get in real trouble by saying something to you that is different than what is on the label. Most of the time, they are only going to agree with what the label says. You can usually see this by presenting the question by stating nothing about what the medication label says, and if the pharmacist answers without asking what the label says, then they could be knowledgable on the subject…however, I still think the best course of action would be to ask your primary doctor. Most of the reasons that cold medicines (specifically decongestants and antihistamines) contain some type of “-ephedrine” or “-propanolamine” ingredient which stimulate the central nervous system to increase the metabolism to fight disease. That is a nono when you are suffering from grave’s and you are hyper! Now these ingredients over time will cause the body to slow down and cause drowsiness and sluggishness. This is a nono when you are hypo. See. That is why it says on the box (usually) if it causes nervousness, dizziness, or sleeplessness to discontinue, and that it also may cause drowsiness.
      The best course of action is to consult your doctor. Your doctor has an unwritten contract to care for you, where as a pharmacist doesn’t and must be very careful.
      Trust me, there are many types of medications out there that can be taken by us. Now there are of course certain ones that may not work or may cause unwanted symptoms for some people. You just have to try one till you find the right one.
      By the way, the statement (don’t take if….heart disease, thyroid disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, glaucoma, or prostrate enlargement) on the back of these medications involves a huge portion of the population of the united states, so you can see that it is a precaution of the company.

Good Luck,

Ron

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.