Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Thank you, I just posted an update on May 23rd, I’m getting excited !!!

Klassey

mojon

klassey,

Sure glad to hear things are going in the right direction. From the onset I was anxious to get the Graves active attack behind me, and really wondered how the docs would know when it was burned out. Plus, I didn’t trust Graves, with one doc telling me all I could count on was that it was “unpredictable”. So I was happy to finally get to the point where none of my numbers were changing, nor were the measurements and field vision tests. I was also so relieved to have a very successful, and yes easy time with orbital decompression. Strabismus is scheduled this next month. So the hard part was all the uncertainty and worry up front. Once the numbers start going the right way, and there is relief and remediation with surgery, it has done nothing but get better and better.

Lettuce know how it goes and your progress – which you WILL experience!

mojon

Have to check in with the good news! I got the eye muscle (strabismus) surgery done. The first week I was very sore, but my eyes were lined up so I didn’t have lots of double vision. The following week I had headaches, lots of discomfort and the double vision returned. Damn! I also had quite a bit of light and wind sensitivity. I was discouraged because it was almost worse than before the surgery. Doc said it was apparent that I was having plenty of swelling, gave me some steroids. Still it was a couple of months before things started to settle down. Slowly I was getting better all around. Then about 1 month ago I forgot to put on my eye patch when I started out driving. To my amazement I could drive OK without it. If I look to the left, I still have double vision, but I just temporarily close one eye, or turn my head completely to look. Since the eye muscle surgery initially set my alignment straight ahead, apparently once all the swelling went down, my eyes settled with pretty good (but not perfect!) alignment. My eyes are no longer light sensitive and the improvement in my overall functioning is really good. I had a 2nd surgery date scheduled, but do not believe I will need/use it. I can drive (well) during day and night. The doc told me it would take time, but while I was in the middle of it, it didn’t seem like I would get better. I did.

So … I woke up December 1, 2015 with my eyes bulging. By September 2017 the nightmare is over. I am on the other side of this thing now. I know it doesn’t always work out, but it did for me and it can for you.

Can never THANK this group enough for all the information, education, assistance, perspective, encouragement that helped me through this. I hope I can be of help to others the way others have helped me.

Liz1967

Glad you had such a great outcome! You will notice some changes in the upcoming months as everything heals, but the straight ahead single vision should not change. I have found I need a small amount of prism, like 2 diopters base out, for expressway driving or if I am really tired, but that is no big deal. I can fuse but I get a headache so the prism takes care of that. Single vision is wonderful!

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

Wonderful news – thanks for sharing your success story!!

mojon

Hi all,

Been awhile since I checked in. Just wanted to say things continue to go quite well. I’m functional and have not had any return of thyroid or eye problems. My numbers (in lab tests) have returned to the normal range. So it is completely possible to get through the terrible problems with GD and TED. I read all the recent posts. If I can be of help, please holler at me.

Jon

Kimberly
                Online Facilitator

Thanks for checking in – it’s always great for our community members to hear success stories! Hope that all continues to go well!

Kimberly

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.