Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello, I’m new here but have been “lurking” off and on for 2 months. Giant thank you’s to all who post here. I have learned a lot about this disease and a lot about courage/will from all of you. I became noticably ill in 3/96 and was finally diagnosed as having Graves’ in 10/96. I had RAI in 10/96 and then went on a 14 month nightmare roller coaster ride. Finally, I am beginning to feel human again. To feel good I am taking alternating doses of synthetic thyroid hormone – .175 and .200 – quite a bit for someone my age and weight. To the question: I have been given conflicting information on eye sypmtoms – one opinion says that even if I haven’t had any problems that the eye promlems can just pop-up (or out) at any time during the next 20 years. The 2nd opinion says that there is a burn-out stage and I already reached it, hence, I do not have to be concerned about further problems with my eyes from Graves’. Early on I did have “the stare”, light sensitivity and slipping contact lens but that didn’t last long. Well you can quess which opinion I prefer… I would like to hear your opinions based on your own experiences. Are there any good references or research sources-Internet or otherwise. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Anonymous

To answer your question, Ann, Yes you can be affected up to 20 years out. However, the longer you go minus the eye problems, the less likely you are to develope them. Hope this helps clarify things.

Regards,
        JAN

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.