Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi Lyn–you’re not alone in noticing this pattern. Many of us on thyroid replacement hormone notice the same tendency you’re mentioning, which is feeling more hyper the week before a period. My endo was aware this happens, so yours might be also.

I hear what you’re saying about fears your doctors will discount this as “female stuff”. . .many of us have had it happen, mainly because there is still too much about this disease that isn’t understood.

My first endo told me my hypothyroid symptoms (with a high-normal TSH) were “problems all women have at sometime or other”. That’s great, doc, but I’ve been a woman all my life and didn’t have them until after RAI! He was wrong, of course, and my new doctor listened to me.

Please do ask your doctor about this, and I’d like to hear what he says.

Dianne W

Anonymous

Has anybody else made a connection between flare-ups and their monthly cycles? I am not yet in treatment, other than Inderal ( tremors and accelerated heart rate ). I was looking at my calendar, and EVERY single call to my endocrinolgist ( with problems- mainly anxiety ) over the past 6 months has occurred the last week of each month. Example: last week I began to feel anxious , called my doc, had my blood drawn, and would have been in his office had he not been on vacation this week. I have an appointment with him next week. Today, I feel marvelous as I always feel after my period begins. Hmmm, anybody else think this way?? UNFORTUNATELY, my endocrinologist is a guy ( and an old guy to boot ), I know he will just say, ” Now there dear, you know there is no such thing as PMS, so why do you think your thyroid ” problem ” has anything to do with your monthly?? :>{
        P.S. My apologies to all the male members of this BB, I am not ‘male-bashing’.

Anonymous

I am really new to this and not terribly happy about any of it. I am thinking this is a disease which likes women and is not understood by the male medical community. “Gee whiz,The depression is only PMS. There she goes again about her weight and dress size!” You son-of-a-gun, Ilost my husband of 21 years to cancer. No, of course I am not depressed or stressed,it is only PMS. As to my dress size and weight, you’re right, a 25 pound loss is attributed to his cancer! My vision is a result of my age and my change in periods, menopause. Now tell me again about how the BP at 168/90 and the heart rate at 98 are my immagination and just grief tactics, to gain attention. I am 45. Thanks for letting me rant!

Anonymous

I had weird coincidences like that too. I swear this disease is the craziest thing ever. I would NOT be surprised at all if that was the case.

Anonymous

Hi! I did post earlier this day re: my wonderful doctor & his correlation of the full moon. He was talking about the menstrual cycles, but, talking to me. I’m post-menopause by 10-12 years. I have more incidence of symptoms during the full moon time. The dust of time has settled in….my GD was diagnosed after age 12. I always got a kick out of the “new” (back then) PMS diagnosis. It was always HELL for me. Hope this helps! My doc’s men GD patients also have a “full-moon” correlation to more problems.

Think I’ll keep howling at that darn moon. I have for years. My family got used to me in the car, howling, then we’d all laugh! It’s my stress-relief buster! Take care!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.