Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

DEAR GG
      I would love for your sake if I could say yes go ahead,but it might speed up the heart as well,I would think it would be like you were Hyper,but I do know how you feel,wish I could shed a few myself as I do hate the extra pounds also,hope this helps GG,but no Idon’t think you’d better play doctor
      Have a good night Shannon—Barb

Anonymous

Has anyone tried to take just a teensy-weensy bit more thyroid replacement hormone than prescribed? To speed up a bit and lose a couple of pounds? Like maybe a 1/4 of a pill more every other day? Or a 1/2 extra a week? Can that cause any adverse reaction? Does it work? Just courious, and FAT!!! Thanks.

Anonymous

Hi,

It’s undoubtedly tempting, but from what I’ve read it’s a bad idea. Getting balanced out on the right hormone replacement dose is a touchy issue — that’s part of the reason why it takes some of us so long to get “there”. The dose changes from one pill to another are WEE. If you think about it, why even have a pill that is a 0.088mg and another a 0.075mg, unless the differences DO make a difference? Attempting the unscientific task of shaving a bit more into the mix, you could be giving yourself a more powerful dose than you realize. Too much hormone adversely affects the heart and bone density. There are safer ways to try and lose weight. Not as quick or easy perhaps, but a lot safer, potentially, for your overall health.

Anonymous

Thanks Barb and Bobbi, I know you’re right. I’m just having a hard time trying to fit in last years clothes which are now 3 sizes too small!!! Only 2 things make me feel better. I looked too thin then, and Haagen-Dazs’new Limited Edition Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream now!!

Anonymous

One more question please. What is a dexascan? Is that the same as a bone scan? How often does it need to be done? Thanks for the info.

Anonymous

A dexascan is a bone density test, but not a bone scan, per se. This test can tell you if your bones are osteoporotic or lacking in strength and density, due to mineral depletion, which can occur with hyperthyroidism. I had one after diagnosis with GD to get a baseline on my bone density and was pleased to have normal results. I take calcium daily and try to exercise, which helps strenthen bones. I think that’s sufficient for now and don’t plan on repeating the test unless there are indications I should. Talk to your physicain on the matter of how frequently it should be done, but I’d say this varies with the individual.

Rachel
                NGDF Assistant On-line Facilitator

Anonymous

I checked my message and I wrote I cant tell a difference in two days,…ooops I CAN tell a energy boost in two days! A doctor once told me we should eat like animals do, meat and veggies, he said they have energy,feel great and for the most part are normal weight. Well….They cant talk now can they? For all we know they may feel horriable! :)

Anonymous

Thanks for the encouragement! I’ve been “walking” atleast a mile each night on my gazelle. Right now that’s a strugle because after about 5 minutes my heart rate goes wild (usually areound 140) I’m just trying to keep a bad situation from getting worse I’m about 40lbs over weight and most of that has been gained in the last 6 months. Thanks again

Anonymous

I’m on Toporal xl 100mg and tapazole 30mg on odd days and 20mg on even days. My endo wants to do this until the spring then do RAI. I have severe eye trouble actually this all started in my eyes before I had major thyroid symptoms.

Thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.