Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Online Facilitator

In preparation for our San Diego Patient & Family Conference June 14-17, we’ll be polling our online community regarding coping strategies.

If we share your comment, we’ll use your screen name – unless you would prefer your post to be anonymous.

Interested in attending the conference? Check out our sticky post or visit gdatf.org for details!

Today’s question: If you are taking replacement hormone (levothyroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, etc.), how do you deal with waiting 30-60 minutes for breakfast/coffee after taking the meds?

AzGravesGuy

I get up really early on most days.

I take my pill, go for a run or work out, shower, then think about eating and coffee. It is always at least an hour past dosing at that point.

On lazy days I set an alarm, wake up enough to swallow the pill, roll over and go back to sleep.

barbra

I am retired and a night owl so, since I don’t have to get up early. I set my alarm for 7:30am, take my synthroid and go back to sleep until I hear the school bus (my neighbor). That’ll make it an hour. Then I’ll start my day.
          My problem comes in with calcium and the 4 hour wait. I’m trying to lose weight using SlimFast, which, like the milk, contains calcium. One is supposed to have one shake in the morning and one at lunch time.
          I had a tt last August, doing great, am taking Oscal in the evening and either start setting my alarm at 4 or 5:00am or stay fat as a tick. Haven’t worked it out yet.

Hugs.

Barbra.

flora

Hi Old Friends –

I fell in with the Synthroid crowd, when I slipped “hypO”, after a time being on Tapazole for Graves “hypER”. I now set my clock radio to wake me up early, then get up, take my dose, and go back to bed. After listening to an hour or so of news on CBC radio, I get up for good, and get going with my day – heading first to the French press for coffee.

– flora

emmtee

I naturally wake up in the middle of the night between 4:00 AM and 6:00 AM, so I take my levothyroxine then and go back to sleep. Occasionally I can’t get back to sleep, but it’s not really a problem. I don’t generally get hungry in the morning as long as I’m just lying in bed and not active. On especially lazy days, I might have breakfast at noon.

Barbra, I have SlimFast for breakfast too. It’s not so much to lose weight, although that would be nice, but it’s convenient and I really like the flavor. I find it a bit strong, though, so I mix it with about 12 oz instead of 8 oz of milk. Since that’s a lot of milk/calcium, I try to wait at least 2 hours after taking my levothyroxine before I have breakfast. (Usually, it’s more like 4 hours). If I get really hungry after an hour, I’ll have a granola bar or something. I take my vitamins and supplements (including calcium) in the afternoon or evening.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.