Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Sue!
      I haven’t heard of anyone on the BB connecting cataracts and GD.
      I just wanted to let you know I had already started on Synthroid after
      radioactive iodine, before I developed protrusion. My eyes were just
      red and irratated up to this point. So many other problems could set
      in that are not there now, since GD seems to be forever changing our
      eye statis. It sounds like cataracts would be enough to deal with.
      I am sure you have a good Opthamologist who will keep tabs on
      you on a regular basis. Margie

Anonymous

Thanks, Margie. Long family history of eye problems doesn’t help. But I try to remain positive about the outcome. It does seem to be a long road and I wish you the best with your eyes. Here in Texas the sun is shining and that really helps.

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with GD two months ago. Never have felt very bad, just tired. I take 40 mg tapazole and 60 mg inderal daily. Symptoms of rapid pulse started last May and eye irritation began in August. I have an elevated alkaline phosphatase and my gastroenterologist made the diagnosis of GD. I had the uptake and scan about 4 hr. before my first appointment with the endo. I had lost about 15 lbs up to that point which is just about all back. My solution for my dry & irritated eyes are to place hot compresses (washcloth under running as hot as can be tolerated water) and then to use 1/2 tsp baby shampoo & 1/2 tsp water and wash eyelid area. This has really helped and I can wear my contacts now.

I went to ophthamologist in Aug regarding eye problem, he did not find anything wrong just said I had allergies. But he did find I had cataracts and predicted that one would be ready for removal in March. I am 52 and seem to me to be a bit young for cataracts. I am wondering if this increased metabolism also increases the development of something I’m sure I would have developed in about 10 years without GD? Anyone experience this problem?

This is my first attempt at posting a message and hope it goes.

I have become very addicted to this BBS and have learned a host of things.

Anonymous

Yes, GD is a risk factor for cataracts. Diabetes is also.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.