Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

There have been a bunch of questions about nursing an infant and GD. I
      understand that a non-profit support group called the LaLeche League
      is the place to turn. They support nursing mothers and answer all
      kinds of questions. They have come out with some new guidelines and
      it includes suggestions for people with all kinds of thyroid disease.
      Your can look up your local number or call the national number at
      1-800-LaLeche…..hope this helps! …..Carolyn :-)

Anonymous

Hi, I’m going to try again. Seems like I am having trouble posting my
        message. I am new to the internet but not to GD. After 2 years of treating
        me for stress, the doctor finally diagnosed my GD. Was ok for awhile but
        now my TSH is 7.1 so they have increased my synthroid. I’m suppose to take
        my grandchildren to Disney World next week, but my muscles are weak, my body
        itches, my eyes water and I’m irritable. Any suggestions on how to feel
        better? Really want to take this trip. Enjoying your messages.
        Thanks, Kit

Anonymous

Is anyone else nursing a child. I was diagnosed with Graves when my baby was 3 months old. Thanks to Le Leche League am am still nursing my daughter at 15 months. I am on PTU (1 1/2) tablets a day. I also take a low dose of a tranquilizer and an anti-inflammatory for wrist and finger pain.

Anonymous

Lea,

PTU does cross the milk barrier as well as the placenta. May want to have the Ped doc keep an eye on you child’s thyroid functions.

Jake

Anonymous

I’m new here and was just diagnosed last week. I’m breastfeeding my 6 month old and have noticed some of the same symtoms as I am getting. He used to only have a bowel movement 1 time a day and now it’s more like 3. And he is starting to get whiney when he has always been very content. My question is: Can the Graves hormones be passed on to my baby through breast milk? The Endo DR. did not seem worried about my breastfeeding except that when I get my uptake I will not be able to nurse or hold him for at least 48 hours. Also I am only taking medication to slow my heartrate because I’m going to get a thyroid uptake scan next Tuesday.

Thanks in Advance for any Help,
              Jodee

Anonymous

Hi Jodee,

Welcome to the site. Graves’ cannot be passed through the breast milk. Some of your medications can. Antithyroid drugs (ATDs) can pass the milk barrier but you say you are not taking any. Ask the pharmacist about other medications you may be taking.

We are only a click away.

Jake
                On-line Facilitator

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.