Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

It’s been awhile since I posted. I had GD with TED. Diagnosed in 2016, eye surgeries in 2017 with good results. I also had cancer treatment for squamous cell carcinoma of paranasal sinus (head) with chemo & radiation in 2014. Also looking good now 5 years out from treatment. I’m trying to pick up any loose ends of persistent health issues. One that I have not been able to resolve is fluctuating and difficult to control blood pressure, along with quite a bit of light-headedness. I’ve had lotsa medical tests run, mostly on my heart, which checks out fine. Losartain (blood pressure medicine) made the problem worse. I’m now on small dose HCTZ (water pill that’s supposed to help with BP). My BP ranges from 150/100 then down to 90/60. When it gets high, I don’t feel any problems but when it goes low, I really have problems with light-headedness. It limits my ability to do physical exercise that I really like to do. So, I guess my big question is:

Can Thyroid/Graves Disease cause Blood Pressure problems (fluctuation, difficult to control)?

Thanks for any input and feedback!

Jon

Liz1967

Once my hyperthyroidism was resolved with thyroidectomy, I have had no BP issues. However, long before Graves, I had two benign issues that affected my BP. White Coat Syndrome, where the minute you hit the doctors office your BP goes up. This is resolved by not having it checked in doctors office, or if you do, do it toward end of visit not at beginning. On the other end, I have postprandial hypoglycemia. I drink no sodas or juices, no waffles, syrup, etc because two hours after ingesting a sugar load, my glucose plummets making me dizzy and BP drops. Also, stress of any kind raises BP but I got my BP down to 100/60 in dentists office awaiting a tooth extraction by doing yoga breathing! So there is a rather significant mind/body component.

So if your thyroid hormone levels are in range, there should be no BP issues related to Graves.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.