Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone! My name is Pam. I live in Iowa, and have had Graves’ Disease for 18 years. I have been hyperthyroid for 18 years because of denial. Not wanting to believe that there could possibly be anything wrong with me…plus the weight loss was an added benefit (being an entertainer…musician) I read every single message last night…since it was one of my insomnia evenings. Some of the messages really saddened me. I see a lot of people who are going through denial. People who would rather been dead than going through this. Looking for quick fixes…that’s the hyperthyroid talking! I was first diagnosed when I was 19, pregnant with my first child. I think I did go through some remission periods along the way. I have had my ups and my downs…the never ending roller coaster ride. After awhile you get used to being hyper and you think nothing of it. Boy is it nice eating anything you want to and not gain any weight! And if the hair gets a little thin…well buy some hair extensions or wigs. Except for the eyes…no amount of makeup can hide the horrible looking eyes! I have had 3 thyroid storms…still alive but barely. I used to have a strong heart…you have to putting up with 160 mile per hour heart beat. I was the first one to ride in our new ambulance…an experience I would rather forget. But, to no avail, I am still hyperthyroid at 37. I have been on PTU, Propranolol became my best friend, I was addicted to Valium. My heart has suffered, I have osteoperosis real bad, my muscles ache all over, have contemplated suicide (went so far as to slash my wrist one time…good thing it was a dull knife, and I was drunk at the time, didn’t do much damage) But it did damage the ego… I even went for all the home remedies. I heard there was a Chiropractor that could even cure Graves’ Disease….what a joke that was! I have researched…and researched…and researched some more. But…here I am. Still hyperthyroid. I have had two “atomic cocktails” followed by beta blockers. And they haven’t worked. I am currently taking PTU to get my levels to normal so I can go ahead with the surgery…they are rising some. My TSH is now .001 instead of -0.050. YEAH!!!! It is very slow going, I think it is because I didn’t do anything for so long. It likes being hyper I guess. But I want to live…I don’t want to die. That’s where I was headed. Actually I forgot how to live…I emerced myself in my music…I even bacame a hermit at one point. Afraid to go out in public…very phobic. What would I do if I went into thyroid storm again? How embarassing…yet I was scared to stay home by myself…afraid of going into tyroid storm again. I’m sorry I’m rambling on here, but if I can reach just one of you…please, please, I beg you take care of it right away! Don’t search for any quick fixes, it won’t go away on it’s own. There is no magic to make it go away. Denial does no good….all you will do is end up like me. I have lost 18 years of my life. I face heart surgery to correct damage done to my heart valve bacause of it. (the old ticker working over time you know) and walking stooped is not very attractive. But we have to get the thyroid under control first. And I will…because I’m tired of this. Reading last night has given me new strength…and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for that. God Bless You All. Pam

Anonymous

I GUESS BY READING WHAT YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH
        SADS US ALL. I GUESS ANY DISEASE CAN DO IT AND
        GRAVES IS MINE TOO. I’M ALSO IN THE ENTERTAINMENT
        BUSINESS, PEOPLE THINK I’M ON DRUGS THE ONLY
        ONES I DO ARE WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS TO TAKE.
        I GO INTO A CLUB HEY STEVE WHY DO YOUR HANDS SHAKE.
        I ALWAYS HAVE AN EXCUSE BACK STAGE WHEN SOMEBODY
        WANTS TO GIVE ME A DRINK, I SAY IM ON MEDS.
        I’D LIKE TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR MUSIC SOMETIME.
        ITS BEEN NICE,THANKS FOR THE TIME. STEVE FROM CANADA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.