Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi cek–First, I think you have the terms reversed. Hyperthyroid means too much, and hypothyroid too little. If your heart rate is still high and you’re still on beta blockers, it doesn’t sound like your thyroid was eliminated (only your doctor can answer that question though). Some people have to have a second, and some even a third RAI treatment to get the desired effect. Others just take longer for the thyroid to die out. The RAI doesn’t always destroy the entire thyroid. . .some are left with just enough to supply the right amount of hormone, and avoid thyroid replacement for many years.

Actually, there are cases of people who have gone hypothyroid after RAI, started on replacement medications, and subsequently gone hyper again, as the remaining parts of the thyroid recovered enough to “act up” again.

My understanding is that most people who have RAI go hypothyroid within 2-6 months, but just about anything is possible. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect to be “back to normal” in a couple of months. My endo told me it would be six months to a year before that happens. It’s been almost six months, and I’m not there yet (still trying to adjust replacement dose).
      Dianne N

Anonymous

HELP ANSWER THIS QUESTION? Seven to eight months after the RAI treatment and you become hyperthyroid, what symptoms can you expect from synthyroid and beta blockers? I’m a little confused here, which doesn’t take much. The endo said once you totally elminate your thyroid with RAI and you become hyperthyroid, you can never go hypothyroid again! Well, if that’s true why am I still on beta blockers 3 x day and my heart rate is still up. I still have migraines, depression, tiredness, eye problems. I was given the impression that everything would be “back to normal” in just a couple months after the RAI. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Anonymous

One of my Drs. told me that once your blood levels are normal with thyroid replacement it still takes a year for your tissues to get normal. So it really can take a long time to feel better. For me my levels have never gotten to where my endo is satisfied so I still don’t feel ‘normal’ .Good luck–Kendra

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.