Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

My surgeon gave me a copy of her report, and in the hospital she showed me photos of my thyroid. I was really interested in them, so she she put several of them on a disk for me. She wanted to use one of the photos for a paper she was going to write. Apparently I had perfectly formed “Zukerkandl’s tubercles”. (It kind of an appendage on the side of the thyroid that not everyone has, or some people only have them on one side).

Good luck with your pathology. I imagine that this is a really unusual case – a thyroidectomy after RAI, so it’s good that they’re checking everything out thoroughly.

barbra

Hi,

Good news.
        I just got the result from the pathology department at Hershey Medical Center in Pennsylvania.
        The diagnosis is: Follicular adenoma, oncocytic (Hurthle cell) type.
        Which translated evidently means it’s benign.

Saw the Endo this morning and everything looks good. Keeping an eye on the calcium level. Still taking Tums 1000 mg 3 times a day.

I am feeling well, normal and good as new.

I wish you all the very best and hope you find your “normal” very soon.

Hugs.
        Barbra.

Kimberly
        Online Facilitator

Hi Barbra – So glad to hear that the surgery is behind you and that you got good news from the pathology report. Definitely keep us updated on how you are doing!

flora

Just chiming in to say how happy I am for you, too, barbra! All over and done with – good for you!

All the best,
            flora

emmtee

Congratulations on your benign diagnosis. :-) It sounds like you had the same kind of tumor that I did, but my pathologists worded it a little differently: “Hurthle cell adenoma, 7.0 cm in greatest dimension, benign.”

This is a type of tumor that’s “encapsulated” – it grows inside of a capsule of tissue that isolates it from the rest of your thyroid. As long as all the hurthle cells stay inside the capsule, it’s considered benign. If they escape, that’s when they start calling it cancer. The pathologists have to examine all the tissue of the perimeter of the capsule before they can issue a diagnosis, and that’s why it takes so long to get their report. It’s not like other cancers where they can diagnose them based on a biopsy.

barbra

Thanks flora, kimberly, emmtee

I’m glad this is over and done. The pathology report was a bit more extensive than what I posted here, but the most important thing was the headline.

The scar is getting smaller and thinner every day, voice is much better too, but my singing career is not going to get off the ground. Just kidding, never could hit the high notes to start with.

Take good care, y’all. Sending hugs and healing wishes.
                Barbra.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.