Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My OB is asking whether or not I want a flu shot. I’ve ALWAYS refused in the past, even prior to my Dx of GD 5 years ago. I’m on MMI (5 mg) and will be 26 weeks pregnant with my second daughter the next time I see her. I’ve searched the forum and it seems that doctors haven’t reached a definitive answer on whether those with GD/autoimmune diseases should receive a flu shot. But what about those of us who are pregnant, during flu season, who already have a 16 month old (and work on a germ-infested college campus with college students!)?? Should we receive one?

Liz1967

I have never seen anything in the scientific literature about Graves disease as a contraindication to getting a flu shot, nor have any of my doctors mentioned this. I have had Graves for three years and get a flu shot every year. I would think any risk during pregnancy would be the same for any nonGraves pregnant woman.

emmtee

I’ve heard that people with Graves’ (or maybe it was all autoimmune diseases?) should avoid the nasal vaccine, but the shot is fine. I always get a flu shot. Several years ago, I had such a bad case of the flu that I never want to risk that again.

Kimberly
          Online Facilitator

Hello – That is a good question…you might see if you can find a high risk OB/GYN in your area who could provide some additional info.

As emmtee said, I’ve seen warnings against getting a live vaccine for patients on methimazole, but aside from that, the docs I’ve spoken with do advocate getting a flu shot.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.