Anonymous

I just ran across this thread…I realize it is an older one but I experienced the same thing. I was diagnosed with severe hyperthyroidism (Graves Disease) in July, 2007. I believe that I had been suffering ill-effects for many years (approximately 10!)prior to my diagnosis which had been attributed to “stress/anxiety disorder” and “perimenopause” and “menopause”. I was also diagnosed with “bi-lateral carpal tunnel with epicondilitis”! I got through but was quite relieved to finally get my diagnosis…not that I am happy about it!! Anyway, I, too, experienced terrible pain in my right shoulder along with pain in my legs and lower back, eyes and headaches.

When I was started on Methimazole I was took 60 mg 1x day for 3 days and then dropped to 40 mg 1x day until my next Endo visit, which was 8 weeks later. (I was also taking 50 mg, 1x day of atenolol for A-Fib) By that second visit my lab results showed I had dropped from Hyper to Hypo. It was by week 6 of taking the meds that I experienced all of the aches and pains that I described above….one week before my lab work was done. When asked, my Endo said he didn’t believe the aches were connected to me going Hypo. Needless to say, my Methimazole was eventually dropped until we reached 15 mg, 1x day, where I seemed to “stabilize” at “normal” levels. I remained on that dose for about 5 or 6 months until my last lab work which showed TSH at 6.84, T4 Free at .08 and T3 Total at 105. All-time high for TSH! I knew before seeing the Doc that I was dipping into Hypo again because of the way I was feeling – sluggish, tired, anxious and puffy. Along with these changes, I again started to have lower-back aching and pain in the joint of the pinky finger on my right hand.

Sorry to ramble on, but my conclusion after these past months is that the “pain and aches” coinsided with my hormone levels dipping toward the Hypo side…whether my medical professional agrees with me or not.

I have not, at this point, considered RAI – my personal preference – and my Endo is ok with that. We will see what the future brings. I am in such a better place, mentally and physically, now than I was one year ago. I consider that a blessing in itself! I will also add that “under eye bags” accompanied my first dip into Hypo-land and I have a consultation with an eye doc next week to discuss what might be able to be done about that. I just turned 57 and feel I look much older than that due to the appearance of my eyes. I am not a vain person but I also do not want to be reminded every morning that I am living with this disease….there are certainly enough “non-visable” symptoms to take care of that!! I was a life-long contact lense wearer until what was diagnosed as “dry eyes” caused me to return to glasses about 4 years ago – I now believe all of those eye problems were early signs of GD.

Again, sorry for the very long post. I was very happy to discover this website and have read with great interest many, many posts on this BB. Thanks to all of you for sharing. It was a Godsend to be able to read and realize that I was not “alone” in this.
    Good health to all,
    Hellie