Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I believe a good surgeon will tell you the negative things, and make sure you understand them. It is to protect both you and them. It is not what we always want to hear, though. I have much more confidence in physicians who are perfectly honest with me, instead of those who try to sugar coat everything or avoid telling you anything.

I had no choice. My thyroid was enlarged, and only continuing to swell. It grew upwards into my throat, and my voice was already altered. My surgeon actually wanted to wait awhile for surgery, until some of my levels and other health issues were more stable. However, my endocrinologist was worried about the rate at which the thyroid was enlarging, and the fact it was also beginning to harden in some areas.

My surgery was longer than many. The worst things I remember were the iodine drops prior to the surgery, and a terrible neck and head ache afterwards. My surgeon, an ENT, told me later that my thyroid was one of the larger and most bizarre he had ever seen. The neck pain and resulting headache were most likely due to the angle at which my head was placed, in order for him to reach and remove all of the thyroid. My scar is a little higher than we had initially hoped. However, three years later, it is not that noticeable and I normally forget all about it. There is no loss of feeling in that area.

I did lose my voice, and was very hoarse for awhile. My surgeon requested more follow-up visits than most of his patients, due to this. My voice returned, pretty much to normal, after 2-3 months. It probably took several more months before I could sing at church, and I really missed not being able to join in with Christmas carols that year. At the time, I owned a retail store and was still able to work and converse with customers in person and over the phone. I also developed a tightness in my throat when swallowing. I got to experience that lovely scope procedure, too. I agree it is not pleasant. More scar tissue formed than was expected post-surgery. My surgeon administered a series of steroid shots to the scar tissue, through my neck. Again, not very pleasant, but they helped tremendously. There is still a little tightness sometimes when I swallow, but in no way prevents me from eating or leading a normal life.

Even with a few setbacks, I am grateful for the better health I now have. I do not regret having surgery at all. Good luck sorting out the pros and cons. I wish you the best in the treatment finally selected.

adenure

Cyber hug! I posted on your thread Darcy.

Alexis

Kimberly
        Online Facilitator

Hi all – Just a quick note that TSI and TRAb are actually different antibody tests with different reference ranges. However, due to the expense of testing, most doc’s offices that I know of tend to order one or the other.

Carito71
            Kimberly wrote:
            Hi all – Just a quick note that TSI and TRAb are actually different antibody tests with different reference ranges.

Thank you Kimberly. Is TRAb the same as TPOab? TPOab is the one I was thinking might be the same one.

Caro :)

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

Hello – TPOab is a completely different antibody that is more commonly associated with thyroiditis, although many Graves’ patients happen to test positive for this antibody as well.

Carito71

Thank you Kimberly. My TPOab was elevated. Is it known why the TPOab gets elevated with GD patients? I’m guessing that is has to do with a goiter? I’m thinking this b/c isn’t a goiter the one thing thyroiditis patients have in common with GD pts? Just curious.

Thank you!
                Caro

Kimberly
                Online Facilitator

Hello – The TPOabs are markers for inflammation. A goiter can actually occur in several cases, including hyper, hypo, and also insufficient iodine (which is *extremely* rare in developed nations).

Carito71

That makes sense. Thank you. :)

MaryI

Hi VanisleGal,
                      I notice that you are on the Island. I am in the Okanagan and see an Endo in Vancouver. I have been on Methimizole for 2 years now and need a dose adjustment every 3-4 months. I have been thinking about surgery and wonder if you have been able to find a surgeon with lots of experience with Graves.
                      Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.