Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

One thing I’ve learned in the 12 years that I’ve "had" Graves ( at least diagnosed Graves) is that reading test results is not nearly as straightforward as I would like.

That said, it might help to know that the TSH is a type of "running average" of our actual thyroid hormone levels. A running average actually takes longer to "center" than one would like. Because it is a running average, we need to be patient and wait the required amount of time for our next blood tests: testing too soon can cause a hormonal yo-yo, at worst, which is something to be avoided if possible. Also, it was thought when I was diagnosed that the TSH was suppressed for so long that it might take time for the pituitary to "wake up" to new thyroid hormone levels.

I don’t know the answer to these issues. I think you should just make sure that you are being checked regularly, and if you start showing a whole list of hypothyroid symptoms, you should talk with your endocrinologist.

Bobbi — Online Facilitator

Ski

Your normal level is likely somewhere within the normal range ~ could be the bottom number, could be the top ~ that’s one of our more difficult challenges.

As to your other question about changing your thyroid hormone replacement dose, it is not healthy to raise (or lower) your dose by too much at once. It is typical to move just one dose change in either direction. It’s safer.

kallikat

Mamabear brought up a good question to me in another thread, so I called my Dr and endo to get some numbers.
          I had mentioned my TSH level is .024 right now, and Mamabear wanted to know what it was before RAI. I had to confess I hadn’t really kept up with the numbers and didn’t know the significance of them until I found this website last month. But I found out today what my past levels were – maybe someone here can give me some insight on the meaning of them.
          Feb 2007 – diagnosed with TSH of .011
          Tapazole/methamizole dosages constantly changed for 8 months until RAI in Sept 07.
          Oct 07 – post RAI was 6.89
          Synthroid dosage has gone from 147mcg to 75mcg since then.
          Oct 08 – TSH was .008
          Nov 3, 2008 – TSH was .024
          I will go tomorrow for another monthly blood test.
          If normal range is .4-4.0, then it seems I still have a ways to go.
          Is it normal for the synthroid to go down only 12mcg at a time? Seems like the lower we drop it, the quicker my TSH will go up to normal. Definately a question I will ask tomorrow.
          I have to say, though, the "hyper" I feel now is MUCH different than the hyper I felt pre-RAI. Maybe it’s the difference in natural hormone high and synthroid high. I don’t have the palpitations as much, or loss of breath as often (comes and goes). Or maybe I’m just getting used to it?
          Anyone been through this particular situation?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.