Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I plan to arrive in the afternoon. I’d love to find anyone who will be there Thursday evening to meet to go out for dinner. I think I remember when I attended the conference two years ago, I just wandered around, not knowing anyone to do anything with that night, trying to find some way to contact other attendees.
      Kimberly, can an arrangement be made so we can have some way to meet Thursday evening, leave a message that we have arrived?
      Thank you,
      Shirley

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hi Shirley – Wow, that is odd…I could have sworn that you were at dinner with several of us (including Ski and James) on Thursday night at the last San Diego conference!

There will be a reception on Thursday evening (probably around 6:00 – 7:30) with hors d’oeuvres, and after that, those who still want a bite to eat will usually gather at the hotel restaurant.

There will also be a registration desk fo attendees to check in on Thursday, which got a little buried at the Bahia in 2010, but should be more visible at the Kona Kai.

Hope this helps!

snelsen

Perhaps I was! I remember all of you, but don’t recall that specific evening. Everything was so new then, I felt crappy,and I am sure you are right.
          But nice to hear that this can happen again, and I will plan on getting there in plenty of time.
          Shirley

Carito71

That is tomorrow, right? I will not be able to make it but I wish you all the best while there. Maybe you can let us know how it went when you get back.

Have fun!
            Caro :)

snelsen

There is one in San Francisco, maybe tomorrow.
              But I am referring to the one in San Diego in October. There is information about it on the home page. If it is at all possible for you to attend, I encourage you to come. I went two years ago when my TED was raging, and I was so so discouraged. The attendees you meet (familiar names on the forum, the opportunity to meet the facilitators, and the great opportunity to meet with the doctors, makes it a great event.)
              Shirley

adenure

I told my husband about it and he encouraged me to go and meet you all! We live in San Diego- only about 10 minutes from the conference! I’m not sure what will be going on in October, but it would be fun to meet up at some point, even if I don’t end up going to the conference, but just to say hello! I’ll have to check it out more and see what it all involves, price and all that. But, either way, saying hi would be neat!

Alexis

Kimberly
                Online Facilitator

Hi all – Yes, there are two separate events, one in San Francisco and one in San Diego.

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

The Thursday evening reception that Shirley mentioned is on 10/25, and is for “early arrivals” for the GDATF’s patient & family conference. (The actual presentations start on Friday morning, 10/26). Here is the registration info:

http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/default.aspx?EventID=1114239

The event in San Francisco is this coming Tuesday, 7/31, and is being hosted in conjunction with the conclusion of the Greater Than Graves’ coast-to-coast bike ride. This event is free, although advance RSVPs are required, due to space limitations and security requirements on the UCSF campus. You can get more info here:

https://gdatf.org/site_media/uploads/gdatf-lfit_event_san_francisco_7-31.pdf

If you can attend either one of these events, I would definitely encourage you to go! The information provided is great, and it’s really encouraging to get a chance to meet fellow patients in person!

cwilcox

Hi,

I was wondering if the conference usually sells out quickly, and what are my chances of there still being room at the hotel if I wait until September to register? I would really like to go, but I’m having health issues right now that I’m trying to figure out, and I’m not sure yet that I will be well enough to travel in October. Are there usually a few Canadians in attendance?

Kimberly
                    Online Facilitator

Hello – Yes, for the last couple of years, there have been at least 1 or 2 other attendees from Canada.

In terms of being able to register for the conference, you should be fine waiting to see if your health issue resolves and registering in September. What is more limited, though, is the number of hotel rooms that the Kona Kai reserves for us at the discounted rate of $109/night. Right now, there are plenty of spots, but it’s hard to predict what the mix of local vs. out of town registrants will be over the next few weeks, so the hotel is a tougher call.

Sorry if that made things *more* confusing instead of *less* confusing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.