Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anyone taking this? Any info on this bit would be great.

I’ve heard it helps the GO symptoms..

Momof5

I switched to an iodine free vitamin and it has 200 mcg of selenium as one of the ingredients.

Stymie

Have you noticed any difference in any of your symptoms since you switched vitamins?

Momof5

Well, I did some radical stuff when I was diagnosed three weeks ago. I stopped drinking milk except one small glass a day. I wasa milk and water junkie (thinking I was doing my body good). I cut out most processed foods and a lot, but not all gluten andsweets. I think I did it more because I was in shock more than anything else.

But, sadly, no….I don’t feel much different. I don’t feel the vitamin change did anything either. But, maybe it is too early to tell. I go for blood work again next week, but I still won’t know if it is the meds or the diet change or both. I am trying to be positive that m numbers will decrease a lot. I’m praying….a lot. I also saw a naturopath on Saturday and did acupuncture. I don’t feel like I am “out of ly body so much anymore and feel more in conyrol, but still feel shaky. My bp and heart rate have come back down and I only took 25 mg of atenolol.

Stymie

Are you having any symptoms if GO? I’m sorry if I’m you’ve already told me this as my brain does not retain too much info anymore… Lol

Momof5

Well, that is a good question! The answer is I don’t know. Back in early March, I took a photo with friends and I had the wide eye startled look. My right eye looks normal now, but my left is still retracted and feels “off”. It doesn’t hurt, and I still see fine, but I feel it. My endo says its fine and I don’t have any eye issues. She measured them both at 16. I stare at my eyes for hours every day.. u have an eye Dr appt on the 19th. But it still sounds subjective. I dont remember my eyes feeling different until after I started meds. I did read that people have had dry eyes or swelling of the eye lids when taking beta blockers although it is less common than other side effects. So, maybe it’s just that. My left eye is definitely open more than my right, but most people say that can’t see it until I point it out.

Kimberly
                Online Facilitator

I did not personally have any luck with selenium, but I was already a couple of years into my Graves’ experience when I started taking it. All of the patients in the study had been diagnosed with TED within the prior 18 months. Also, the authors noted that the study was conducted in an area known to be mildly selenium deficient, so that could have had an impact on the results. Here’s the full study:

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1012985#t=articleDiscussion

Take care!

Stymie

Thanks Kimberly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.