Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. My yearly seasonal allergens are at their peak and I think it is having a worsening affect on the TED. I’ve read taking antihistamines is not a good idea in general for thyroid patients, yet if I can suppress the allergic reaction wouldn’t that help my eyes too? In years past before my thyroid diagnosis one of my worst allergy symptoms was irritated red eyes at this time of year. What do you guys with TED and eye allergy do?

Thanks all!

Kells1

Do the normal lubricating drops not help? You could try a nasal steroid since i hear it can help with eye allergies too without needing to take tablets?

Bobbi

Your personal physician is the best source on this issue, but I don’t believe antihistamines are a problem, even for those of us who still have our thyroids. Cold medicines — which typically contain chemical “uppers” are what we are warned about while hyperthyroid. But the best thing to do is check with your doctor. Failing that, a pharmacist might be able to provide the necessary information for you.

adenure

When I took Benadryl to help my insomnia while I was hyper and even when my numbers were normal on methimazole, I woke up with a racing heart (especially when I was hyper). I believe novacaine & ephedrine have the same effect on someone with Graves. I have read a few articles on line that people with hyperthyroidism should be “wary” (as it was put in a nursing article) using antihistamines. My endo told me to take the Benadryl when I was dealing with insomnia while I was hyper, but the 2 nights I took it, I woke up with a racing heart and sweating. So I stopped using it.

Alexis

http://e-edcredits.com/nursingcredits/article.asp?testID=1 (That’s the article).

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

Hello – I haven’t seen any studies that address allergies as an aggravating factor for TED. But on a personal note, I was out playing tennis Monday night and woke up Tuesday morning with my eyes extra swollen. I don’t know if there is a connection, but I plan to keep further notes on this!

Carito71

I’ve read the same thing as Alexis.

I had been using Claritin for 3 years until I got sick last month. I used it because my eyes would get itchy and my ears would feel like I was under water. The Claritin would help for the eyes but not the ears. When I got sick I stopped and my eyes haven’t been itchy much, which I find surprising. When they get itchy now (only twice in one month) I put an ice pack on them and it helps.

My Endo did not tell me not to use Claritin but my Primary Dr. said that it would just dry my eyes. She gave me a nasal spray instead for my ears because they constantly feel like I’m under water.

As I was writing this message, my Endo’s office called. I asked his nurse about the Claritin and she said I had to be very careful with other medications and the Methimazole and that they did not recommend I take it.

One other thing, I read on the internet that there are natural antihistamines. Now, I don’t know if it is true or not but they listed Vitamin C and Omega 3. I take flax seed with my cereal and oatmeal. It contains Omega 3 and it is really good.

:)

catstuart7

Thanks everyone! It sounds like antihistamines are a no-go. Like Alexis I do notice some increased heart rate with them and definitely increased bp. Still I need the sometimes too. Kells, that’s an interesting idea about the nasal steroid – I wonder if any would soak into the eye area and help out the TED too? I’ll report back if I get a chance to try it.

JustLeslie

I am the allergy QUEEN and I also have TED–fun, isn’t it? I find that Zyrtec works well for me when my symptoms act up, and when my eyes are really itchy an eye drop (Optcon A) helps. I try to avoid things like sudafed that “dry me out”. Also, a saline rince for your eyes- or bathing your eyes in milk (I know it sounds weird but it feels great!) really makes a difference for sore itchy eyes. Also, make sure if you’re sleeping with windows open, or with a fan blowing your direction, you’re protecting your eyes from allergens with a sleep mask or tape !

Good luck !

Carito71

JustLeslie, you are not going to believe this but when my eyes were itching last time I thought about milk. I just thought it would probably feel good. I didn’t do it because I was afraid it would damage my eyes. So it is safe then?

catstuart7

Leslie, I love the Zyrtec too – it is a really effective antihistamine. I am lactose intolerant so I’m not so sure about the milk though!

Another eye question I’m too lazy to start a new thread for….what about crying? Is it good or bad for TED? Seems like it could really wash out the area behind the eyes but then it also could bring more fluid in for congestion.

Kimberly
                        Online Facilitator

@catstuart7 – I’ve never heard a doc say that crying is either “good” or “bad” for TED. However, we had someone on our Facebook page ask a while ago if others noticed that their eyes were *extra* swollen the day after a major cry…and many people responded that they had experienced that as well.

Take care!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.