Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am 30 years old and I’m being diagnose with Graves disease over a year, the tapazole (methimazole) treatment didn’t work and now my Endo has suggested RAI, I don’t have any kids but I would like to have them within a year or two. Is anyone having problem getting pregnant after the RAI treatment? please help! I am planning to have it done within a month and I really want to make sure I am making the right decision,
      Thanks!

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hello – Hopefully, you will get some other responses, but as a side note, the latest medical guidance recommends that women who have previously been treated for Graves’ (whether via ATDs, RAI, or surgery) undergo antibody testing at 20-24 weeks, to see if additional fetal monitoring is needed. You can access the full guidance here: http://thyroidguidelines.net/pregnancy

(Note on links: if you click directly on the above link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

Also keep in mind the required waiting period for conception following RAI, which is generally 6 months. Regardless of the treatment option selected, it’s also important to note that thyroid levels need to be stabilized prior to trying to conceive, as being either hyper or hypo can be dangerous for both mother and baby.

Wishing you all the best!

Jiguevara

Thanks Kimberly!

Redmom

I had RAI 25 years ago and everything worked out for me. I had to stay on birth control until my levels were right. I did have a problem getting pregnant but once they adjusted my dosage I got pregnant and now have 4 beautiful children. I currently see a wonderful endo and he keeps me on the right meds and dosage that works for me.

Good luck!

GLo22

I just had my first baby and was diagnosed with GD right after. My endo suggested that I do RAI so I CAN have another pregnancy without complications in the future. I decided to try ATD in the mean time until my current child is done breastfeeding (which is working out beautifully BTW)

…SO:

YES! :)

You can have children following RAI after waiting the approriate time and being monitored by your endo and OB!

You can also opt for surgery. You should do lots of research and firgure out what’s best for you. However many women in the US do RAI and have successful pregancies.

And by the way, having kids is the most amazing thing you will EVER do. I ;)highly suggest it!

Carito71

Hello. My Dr. told me 1 year wait period for the RAI option. :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.