Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I was in your shoes only 6 weeks ago – this board will help alot. Ask questions and relay your thoughts and feelings. It helped me just to share with others what was happening and for them to share their experiences also. Hang in there.

someone

Thanks for your message. I am 27 and autoimmune issues are prominent in my family. This has all been a bit of a whirlwind and I feel like I am ready to crack. I have two boys, 2.5 and 4 years old and have been scared with all of the health issues I have been having. I suspected I was hyperthyroid and went into the doctor. My blood pressure was 171/114 and she put me on heart medication, which has brought my bp down. In the meantime, they ran several tests and I am showing as having Graves and hypothyroidism at once. I am waiting on more bloodwork, but the ultrasound and TSH test came back as showing Graves.
        All of this while we are about ready to go visit my inlaws for Christmas…out of the country.

We lost our house in August in a storm, moved to another state and completely started over. My husband hasn’t been able to get a job, so I am the only one working right now and I just found out my health insurance (I work at a hospital) won’t cover preexisting conditions! So much for a group policy! I got on a discounted health program through the state and am trying to figure out how to pay for treatments and stay in my masters program, etc.

Quite honestly, I just feel like I need a long break and want to stay home with my kids right now. I just found out my diagnosis today and am doing fairly well, all things considered, but I just don’t know where to go from here.

someone

I just received my ultrasound and TSH test results back today and was diagnosed with Graves disease. I have of course done some reading and my dr is putting together some information for me to pick up tomorrow so that I can be better prepared. This has all been a bit of a shock, so here I am.

Jake_George

There are a few things to consider. First is Anti-thyroid drugs are fairly cheap. That is good. Another is some pharmacies are now offering low cost generics and that may help even more. Blood tests will run you up as the T3, T4 and T3/T4 conversion tests are expensive. However talk to your doctor and see if they can cut you a break and let you pay at what the insurance companies pay. That will cut the cost at least in half.

You stated that you just found out you are both hyper and hypo. Talk to your doctor to see if the hypo can be considered a new diagnosis that took place while you were covered and you may be able to get coverage that way.

malia

Mom to mom, I’m feeling your pain. I am the breadwinner right now too and just wanna stay home with the kiddo and rest. I feel like she gets me at the end of the day when I am DONE. I’m so sorry about your house, talk about stressful.

How can this be a pre-existing condition if you were just diagnosed? I was pleasantly surprised by the low cost of my generic med, hopefully your will be the same.

someone

Thanks for the info. I am mostly concerned about the expense. I started my job at a hospital Oct. 7 and they require a 90 day waiting period to get on the insurance, which also mandates consecutive employment, which means I won’t be eligible to early February. Today, the dr said she would try to leave me undiagnosed in their system so that I can get on it and at least receive some help. For now, I am on a financial assistance program through the state. They require health insurance and even though it is a group policy, no preexisting conditions allowed, which means that spinal issues and bp won’t be covered anyways!

Ski

Oh my, I’m so sorry you have to be concerned with all this at the same time you’re feeling so ill.

As Jake said, the ATDs are fairly inexpensive, and replacement thyroid hormone (if you should need it) is also inexpensive. A 100-pill supply of my replacement hormone retails at less than $25, and that lasts more than three months. All you need to do is take a prescription for a 100-day supply to your pharmacist and tell them you’re buying retail. For ATDs, you may want to check on the price differential between the two (methimazole or PTU) in order to decide which one to try first. I know methimazole comes in a generic form, not sure about PTU. Check into that too.

After meds, lab tests will be the most common expense, but (fortunately?) you shouldn’t be testing your levels TOO often. Every six weeks is pretty typical. As Jake said, see if you can find a doctor (or lab) who will work with you to keep costs down. MANY healthcare professionals will waive or discount fees for the uninsured.

Between meds and labs, if you’ve got a doctor who will work with you, the only other cost would be doctor’s appointments, and if they will waive or discount THOSE fees, you’ve got it made.

BOTTOM LINE, though ~ you must be treated. Thyroid imbalance is extremely debilitating over time. Please don’t let this go too far. Do whatever you must in order to get your health back.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.