Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’ve been taking Methimezole for a month and a half and my Graves symptoms have all but gone. I’m so grateful and I feel so good. The problem is, I get migraines, I have since I was about 9. Now I’m 50 and over the last few years they had become fewer and fewer. Now they are back and I am getting several a week. I just can’t help but think it’s my fluctuating hormones. Has anyone else experienced this?

adenure

Hi,

I think it could be fluctuating hormones. When I was hyper and now (as I am getting closer to the right dose of Synthroid after my thyroidectomy), I’ve experienced headaches. They’re not migraines, but they are a nuisance. Of course, it could be something else entirely, so I think getting your thyroid labs done (if you haven’t recently) would be a good thing to do. Also, maybe just a basic run of different blood work to check other things as well.- maybe a vitamin deficiency or something. I would start with the labs though.

Carolyn111333

Thank you Adenure. I will talk to my endocrinologist.

Kimberly
          Online Facilitator

Hello – Yes, definitely a good idea to discuss this with your endo.

The more specific that you can be, the better. What is the frequency? How long do they last? Do they come at a certain time of day? Can you spot any connection between the onset and a specific trigger (taking your meds, caffeine, alcohol, etc.)?

Hopefully this will help your doc get to the root cause of the issue and get you some relief!

Carolyn111333

My migraines have been triggered by hormones, I used to get them before, during. and after my period. My neurologist told me that as I reached menopause they would become less and less. This has been true, until now. I have been on Methimezole for about 6 weeks and now my migraines are just as they used to be, I wake up with them, take my migraine medicine and feel better. This is what leads me to believe they are hormone related. I’m not worried there is some kind of pathology going on, I just am going through my migraine meds so quickly. I will call the endocrinologist tomorrow and see what I can do, if anything.

Thank you for all of your input. I do appreciate it.

Carolyn

MikeLSU

Carolyn,

I also used to wake up often with migraines and, um, I am pretty sure mine are not hormone related ;D. Mine are usually caused by me getting hot for some reason as I am very sensitive to the heat. Have you tried putting an ice pack on your eyes amd forehead or across your temples? This sometimes completely stops my migraines.

I now do not sleep under a blanket.

Either way, I hope ou find a cure. When worse comes to worse I take Ergotamine which is a miracle drug in my book.

Mike

Bobbi

I used to get hormone related migraines, and they did go away once I was in true menopause.

The problem for me was that I thought I was in menopause when I was hyperthyroid. I was 52 at the time, and all the signs and symptoms were there. EXCEPT those signs and symptoms (night sweats for instance, dwindling periods) were not caused at the time by menopause: they were caused by being hyperthyroid. Once I got my thyroid hormones controlled at normal levels, the signs of menopause went away, and stayed away for several years. And the headaches came back as well.

Just food for thought. I don’t know if that is your situation, but it most definitely was mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.