Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Two weeks out

To be completely accurate, it will be two weeks out in about three hours, but never mind. Three weeks is close enough.

First off, how I am feeling. My bandages are still completely attached to my incision. The ends of the strips aren’t even curling yet. The surgeon’s notes indicate that by now the bandages should have fallen off on their own accord. I am still getting some “fluttering”, my body isn’t always warm, I am generally hungry but having to be careful not to put on weight, sleep is mixed, skin on my face isn’t flakey anymore, and the best news? My eyes don’t hurt. They still get a bit itchy and I am still using some artificial tears, but the pressure and pain are gone.

Today was my first followup with the endo. Blood pressure was very low for me, but my heart rate is too high. I have gained two pounds but this was after lunch. fellowEndo feels that I am healing well. He felt the incision and said there was no sign of infection or irritation. No mention of pulling off the bandages. My tremor is still present but he thought it was reduced from pre-surgery.

We discussed my levothyroxine dose at great length. The word half-life was used a lot. He states that he didn’t run the FreeT3 since it is simply too early for that number to show us anything useful. The TSH half-life is also too long to worry about just yet. He believes that my T4 is still elevated and will drop in the next few weeks. When asked how we will be watching to adjust the dose he plans to use a two-pronged approach. He will be evaluating the T3, T4 and TSH along with my description of how I am actually feeling. [YEA!!! An Endo who thinks how I feel informs dose decisions!] But no change in the dosage today.

The final note is, queenEndo wants me on name brand Synthroid not levothyroxine. This was rushed at the end. In fact, it was after I had already gone to the lobby and realized I didn’t have enough drug. I will ask more about this next time. She encourages me to get into the sun, have fun, put away my gray clothes, take a walk, and smile often.

Since my veins are troublesome, we are coordinating my endo blood draws with my other monthly bloods. The result is, I won’t see them again until the second week of May. This is longer than ‘ideal’ but I can’t have my veins collapsing.

I think that captures my progress following this thyroid removal.

*susan*

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Thanks so much for the update!

Doctors generally recommend that patients use a brand name replacement hormone *if* cost is not an issue. Between different brands and different generics, the inactive ingredients can affect how much of the meds your body absorbs. The concern is that pharmacies can switch generic manufacturers without telling you…and your body might end up absorbing the meds differently, putting your levels back on a hyper or hypo rollercoaster.

Take care – and please continue to keep us posted!

smtucker

Money is an issue, but I am comfortable with this choice. Some of my other drugs are generic and they do change. Costco however, always notifies me when there has been a change so I know to be doing some self-evaluation.

*susan*

smtucker

Tomorrow is week 3. Three weeks since they removed my thyroid. The bandages are now completely off. Took some patience to pull them off carefully and gently, but it really was time. Underneath there is some puffiness and some redness from the irritation of pulling off the adhesive. The real surprise is the incision. What incision? My goodness this guy was GOOD. The incision is just a faint line across the far bottom of my neck. I am going to guess that within 6 months, I won’t be able to find it.

The pathology report is back and as expected, no sign of cancer. Dr. Surgeon says I can do my follow up by phone if I want. Since I see no signs of infection in the incision and my thyroid didn’t warrant any further treatment, I think I will take him up on this offer and free up a day.

*susan*

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

Hi Susan – Wow, lots of positive news…thanks for this update!

Maybe use the extra free time to do something just for YOU. :)

Gabe

Thanks for sharing your experience Susan. I’m strongly leaning toward TT so I’m following you closely… Sounds like your surgeon was great. Hopefully you are feeling better also. I know the body takes a while to recover and adjust to synthroid and that everyone is different. I wish you the best…keep the updates coming please!
                Aren’t

smtucker

Now at week 4 post-surgery. First the surgery stuff. The incision is mostly healed. The skin that was under the steri-strips is still a bit puffy and a bit redder than the skin just outside that area.

At the hospital, they prescribed 100 mg of generic levothryoxine, but that was changed to name-brand Synthroid at my first Endo follow up. At two weeks, they felt that it was too early to adjust the meds. I believe that my body is heading towards hypo about now. I feel cold from the bones out, and my hands and feet just can’t get warm at all. My fatigue level is high. After sleeping a good 9 hrs at night, I want a nap before lunch. Real life doesn’t allow for that, so I am pushing through. I have put on 4 lbs in the past 5 days.

My next set of blood work isn’t for another two weeks so nothing can be confirmed until then but I fully expect that my Synthroid dose will be increased at that appointment.

*susan*

Kimberly
                  Online Facilitator

Thanks for the update! Replacement hormone takes a few weeks to fully build up in the body, so it does take some time to know if a particular dose is right for you.

However, if you continue to feel this extreme fatigue, it’s worth being the “squeaky wheel” and telling the doc’s office that you need a new set of labs ASAP!

smtucker

Not unexpected, but still annoying— I have put on 5 lbs in the last three weeks. I am sleeping a lot and always feel a bit groggy. My brain feels like it is always swimming through molasses. Will get blood drawn on Thursday and then a follow up with the Endo a week later. I really hope that my levels indicate hypo so I don’t have to fight for a bit more synthroid. But I am not going to borrow trouble, just yet.

Kimberly
                      Online Facilitator

Keep us posted! It’s a good idea to document *all* of the symptoms that you are mentioning here, as that could definitely make a difference in your doctor’s next dosing recommendation. Hope you can get some relief soon!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.