Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

My only issue for eating after the surgery was that the hospital kitchen was closed. I did not miss a beat with the whole food thing. I did discover that I gulp water and had to slow down to sips. I was prepared for sleeping more upright, but also found that this was not required.

Chances are, you will somewhere in the middle between adenture and me.

*susan*

amosmcd

Hi, Susan–

Since I work at the hospital where I’ll be having surgery (but not in the same area where I’ll recover) I am lucky enough to know the hours they serve food and what they serve. My surgery is early enough in the day that I’ll have plenty of time to order something, if I feel like eating.

I was pretty nauseated after my sinus surgery, so don’t know if I’ll feel like eating much. I’ll keep it light just in case. And I’ll drink slowly and carefully! All good stuff to know, thank you! :)

Amy

snelsen

Hi Amy, nausea after sinus surgery is pretty common. I am guessing more common than after a TT.
          And, as you have read, the experiences do differ. I think a recliner is a great idea! I am thinking of getting one. I am looking for one that is not so poofy and big, though, for my living room is fairly small.
          Glad you have your help figured out.

I think you will do well with all of it.
          Shirley

amosmcd

Today was a busy day–lots of medical appointments prior to my TT next Tuesday!

First appt was with the nurse at the surgeon’s office, to go over the consent, the preparation starting the day before surgery, where to go, etc. That was easy, and everything was written down so I don’t have to rely on my sketchy memory!

Right after that was the appt with my endo. She apologized profusely for the miscommunication with me having to wait a week to talk to her. She had two office people from a different clinic helping out and they didn’t know the proper procedure. She said I should always expect at least the nurse to call me back, and that I should have been given an appt much sooner to go over all the questions with her prior to deciding on surgery. It was a relief to hear that.

I got all my newest questions answered today, and she was very pleased that my labs are “perfect.” She said the surgeon was really pleased at my labs because it makes the surgery much less complicated. Plus I think it makes the post-op period easier. It’s probably one of the few times since September that my labs have been good. I’ll get them checked again in the hospital, too. She is going to start me on 100mcg of levothyroxine and see how I do on that. She’ll see me 1 week post-op. She’ll have me get my labs checked once a month until I reach the “sweet spot.” I’m hoping to have a little more energy than I do now.

The last appt was for a pre-op thyroid ultrasound, which was normal. Too bad ultrasounds don’t show the havoc being wreaked inside the darn thyroid!! But it’ll be a safer surgery without any goiter. When I was first diagnosed I had a small goiter, but it must have gone away.

All to do now is for the hospital to call me with pre-registration questions and info tomorrow and for the surgeon’s office to call me Friday with what time to be at the hospital on Tuesday. My brother will drive me there and one of my son’s will pick me up. My son will also be the one helping me out at home. He’s 22, so should be able to handle it. Hopefully, I’ll be able to drive not too long afterwards and can do most things myself. But I will let myself be pampered, too. As much as a 22 year old can pamper his Mom! :)

I’ll start a new thread once I’ve had surgery.

Amy

snelsen

Amy!
              Sounds like you are having a wonderful experience with your docs, they sound nice and very competent! i wish you the very best next week, and do write with updates and questions.
              Shirley

smtucker

Sounds like they are doing all the right things. I didn’t have that ultrasound, but everything else mirrors my experience. I was also told to bring a button up top so that I didn’t have to put something over my head post-surgery.
                Will look for your updates.

connie10313

Hi. I am new to this site. I have been told I have graves disease and have been set up to go for the RAI. what can I expect through the coming months from this therapy. also I have been givenb Inderal for the heart palpataions and then noticed I started having Jaw Pain and swelling. are they related. should I call my dr. I hate to call the dr. for every little thing. Can someone help me?

Gabe

Amy. I’m stalking your posts (haha) watching your journey since I’m planning a TT in a few months. Good luck with everything and keep us posted..
                    Best wishes,
                    Karen

@connie. Welcome to this forum. And welcome to the world of managing your Graves’ disease. We’re all different and have a variety of experiences, challenges, and successes to share. May I suggest you start a separate post with your questions about RAI so those that have gone thru it can help you. You have come to the right place. I felt so much better from all the help this forum and the wonderful posters have shared.
                    Karen

connie10313

Hi my name is Connie. Did you go for RAI before thinjking to go for surgery? Did the RAI not help? I am set to go for RAI on May 7, 2013. I think I found a good Dr. I have been reading everything I can find about our disease. it can be a little nerve racking. I have also been dealing with fibro, arthritis, depression, anxiety issues which I didn’t know where related to graves until I read it. My Dr. didn’t really give me that much info on it. He just asked me if I had any questions. I was just in a state of shock and told him no not at this time but I will. so back to my question. did you go for the RAI before thinking about surgery?

smtucker

Connie,

No. I didn’t do RAI before surgery. For lots of reasons, RAI wasn’t a good option for me so I dove into surgery after I had a bad reaction to the Tapizole.

Kimberly
                        Online Facilitator

@Amy – Thanks for the update…hope that all goes smoothly!

@Connie – Hello and welcome! I’m not familiar with the jaw pain being a symptom, so I would definitely mention this to your doctor or pharmacist ASAP to get some further direction. The “Treatment Options” thread in the announcements section at the top of this forum has some great info on all three treatment options, including RAI.

marocker1950

I resisted surgery for 2 years because of the fear but I was told by my ophthalmologist that eye surgery would be futile if I still had my thyroid. Hypo is a lot easier to control than hyper. You will feel way better! Good luck:D

Kimberly
                            Online Facilitator

@marocker1950 – Hello and welcome! I’ve actually heard conflicting opinions from eye doctors regarding whether thyroidectomy results in a benefit to thyroid eye disease. I haven’t seen any specific studies on this, but have heard a few anecdotal stories. Definitely keep us posted on how you are doing!

gerical

Hi Amy. I hope all went well for you today. Sending well wishes your way…………………..:)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.