Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

You will meet many people here who will be able to validate your present symptoms, fear of the unknown, and that feeling of "un-me". We have all been there–and it was awful! They will also give yhou a great deal of HOPE. Things WILL get better. You are probably being faced with treatment decisions, among other things. Let us know what information you need, and we will see to it that you get it.

hortonldy

I need to know if what I am feeling is common with Graves Disease, and will I stop feeling this way. I need to know that I will get stronger again. I need to know that someone is out there to help me understand what I am going through. I am scared…

hortonldy

I am a 51 year old lady from MD, I was just recentally diagnosed with Graves diease.. I am scared, my body is shaking, my insides feel like jello, my legs are weak. I am a strong woman, and now I feel like I am losing myself. Has anyone had these feelings? It seems like it takes forever to get answers from my endo.

Bobbi

Of course you are scared. I remember vividly how truly awful I felt before I was diagnosed, and I was 52 at the time. And there is a very good reason why you feel so awful right now: the thyroid controls cell metabolism in just about every place in the body. When thyroid levels are out of whack, every single body system that depends upon thyroid hormone is "broken." I like to compare hyperthyroidism to being run over by a metabolic "Mack truck."

And we DO get well again if we get effective treatment soon enough. The good news for us is that there are effective treatment options that can get thyroid levels under control again. Once you get your thyroid levels controlled — by whatever means you and your doctor work out — your body will start to heal. When I was diagnosed, I could not climb stairs; now, I spend my summers in the Sierra Nevada mountains and spend a lot of time hiking the trails. I don’t have the tremors any longer; nor do I experience the heart palpitations. The weakness is gone. The nervous anxiety is gone.

There are several good books which can give you information about how the thyroid works, and what the treatment options can do for you. It can help to do some research so that when you talk with your doctor you understand what is being recommended, and why.

And, if you have any questions about issues, we can try to help. We won’t tell you what to do, but we can answer a lot of questions about what is going on and what various terms mean.

I do hope you are feeling better soon.
            Bobbi — NGDF Online Facilitator

LynneB54

Oh boy – can I identify! You have pretty much described exactly what I’ve been going through since August. It’s really hard to be an independent woman and all of a sudden you can’t do the normal things you’ve always done. I’m lucky to have a very supportive husband – but still! I don’t like asking for help to do the everyday stuff I’m used to doing. I’ve had the same physical problems you’ve experienced and they’re horrible. However, as of Thursday my doctor put me on a beta blocker and I can’t tell you how much better I feel! The hand tremors have stopped and the "twitchy" feeling I had inside has stopped as well. And I’m not having heart palpitations and a racing pulse anymore. My body is calmer now, and I’m very grateful for that. I still feel pretty awful but it is better. So go ask your doctor for a prescription; I think it’s a pretty standard therapy and it will help protect your heart.

I’m scared too. None of this is easy, but the people here are very helpful and so supportive. It is good to know that there is a place to turn with people who understand what we’re going through.

Best of luck to you,
              Lynne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.