Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

My son has been battling this dreadful disease for 18 mos. We are almost done. He will have a complete thyroid ectomy Thursday morning. He is so nervous (and so am I) . Although, we are both looking for a relief from all of this..less meds and less sypmtoms. I am losing it….my baby’s life in someone else’s hands. Please say a prayer for my boy!

Robboford

Sending good thoughts, prayers and best wishes your way! Hang in there and stay strong, the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brightly and getting closer to you and your son.
        Cheers, hugs and kisses
        Debbie

kms1246

Thanks, for the encouraging words and prayers. Hopefully this will give my son a chance to enjoy his teenage years!

adenure

Hi! I’m happy for your son that he will make the turn to recovery soon! I had a total thyroidectomy 4 weeks ago. Everything went well- no complications and I’m healing very well from the surgery. The first 48 hours are tough; on day 6 I made a turn for doing better. My voice was weak and tired for about 3 weeks. But, it is fine now. I started 100 mcg. of Synthroid on day 2 after surgery.

I do want to prepare you though for the fact that it will take time to get his hormone levels normal after. I’m in the middle of that process and it is not the most fun I’ve ever had… NOT as bad as being hyper by any stretch, but it’s tough. My labs a few days ago show that my body is pretty much confused at the moment, but I get labs done again in 3 weeks to see how things are settling down. My TSH says slightly hypo, yet my T4 is high (although normal range). I get a mix of mild hyper & hypo symptoms. I hear this is normal. I was hoping for a “quick fix” and a completely smooth ride each day getting better. Each day I AM better as far as the surgery, but the hormones are a little different. Just wanted to kind of put that out there so that you and your son keep that in mind and, if he feels not so hot some days, to try to stay positive and know it’ll take time to get our hormones straightened out- that’s where I’m at now. But, Yes, absolutely, it’s way better than being hyper or on the ATD’s (at least for me anyway!) :) Here’s to a smooth surgery!!! Also as a side note, I just took Advil for pain (for about a week). The surgeon prescribed vicadin, but I didn’t need it. The pain isn’t too bad. That is a plus!

Alexis

Bobbi

Hi, kms1246. I’ll add my voice here wishing your son well. You two will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

Carito71

kms1246,

I’m too wishing you and your son the very best for tomorrow. Please keep us posted. You both will be in my thoughts.

Caro :)

catstuart7

Sending prayers for both of you!

Carito71

Thinking about you and your son and hoping that all went well with his surgery.

Caro :)

Carito71

😎

snelsen

How is your son doing? He is about 2+ weeks post op now. Look forward to hearing from you!
                        Shirley

snelsen

How is your son doing? He is about 2+ weeks post op now. Look forward to hearing from you!
                          Shirley

kms1246

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. My son did really well with the surgery. His calcium level dipped but slowly increased. Three weeks post op they increased his synthroid he is still sluggish but getting better. I am so happy with his team of doctors and the hospital. It has been a long haul but I am pleased with the choice we made and the outcome. One day at a time. Hopefully we can get regulated with meds feeling great!

Kimberly
                            Online Facilitator

So glad to hear that all went well — wishing you and your family all the best!

LillyL

I am so happy to hear that everything went okay:)
                                It must be so hard to ber the momma of someone with Graves or any illness for that matter. I have Graves among other auto immune diseases and I would rather have all of them than have my kids have to suffer through any of them. You must be brave for him. He needs his momma’s strength to get well and positive reiforcement will go along way. Our son had a brain tumor many years agao and and he is now almost 30 years ago and thriving. Your son will soon be well on his way too!
                                Take care now.
                                LillyL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.