Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I do have a friend who finds she usually needs a little more replacement hormone in the winter months. We don’t have a good explanation on why, but her body responds better in winter with higher levels of thyroid hormone in her bloodstream. That’s not exactly what you’re describing ~ it sounds like your symptoms come from being too cold ~ so I’m not sure that applies.

It’s tough not to pin all of our unusual symptoms on Graves’ after it’s come on (for so many reasons, not the least of which is that the symptoms are all over the map for different people), but that may not be the root of the problem. It’d be a good idea to talk with your doctor about this, and don’t let them say "oh, it’s not your thyroid, go home." Follow that up with "something is not right, and I need your help to find out what it is. Can you think of anything else we should test for, or another doctor you can refer me to?"

E_Laura

Hello, Everyone!

I’m new to the board, but not new to Graves’. I was diagnosed in October of 2004. It hasn’t been an easy journey, but everyday I learn more about how to take better care of myself.

The problem I’m having now is with the cold weather. Basically, it seems to make my symptoms worse. After being outside in the cold, I feel a slight all-over body tremor, pains in my legs, and some heart palpitations. Currently, I am taking 5mg./day of methimazole. (When I was first diagnosed, I was on 40 mg./day, so I’ve made some progress!)

Anyway, I want to know if it’s possible that the cold weather is affecting my thyroid function. Has anyone else experienced a change in thyroid function along with a change in the weather?

Thanks!

E_Laura

E_Laura

Ski,

Thanks for your quick reply. I think you’re right about blaming all of our ills on Graves’. In addition to the Graves’, I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse (diagnosed at the same time as my Graves’ disease). Anyway, I searched on-line and found that exercising in cold weather with that condition can cause the symptoms I had. I’m due for visits soon with my endocrinologist, and my primary care physician, so I will discuss that with both of them.

Thanks again for your help!

E_Laura

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.