Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi Diane,

I didn’t have the surgery, but I know that *many* people here have. I’m sure you’ll hear from several.

From what I recall in my reading, the biggest issue is soreness from the incision, but that doesn’t last long. Having the thyroid taken out can actually serve as a short cut to achieving normal levels, because they know *precisely* when you have no thyroid. You may not have to go on replacement right away, because the excess hormone can take weeks to flush out completely, but you’ll start taking it pretty soon (some doctors do start right away, and that’s fine too). Just make sure you allow enough time between thyroid hormone replacement dose changes before having your blood tested again — you need to let your body fully metabolize any new dose (usually about six weeks).

I’m so glad you found us. :-)

~Ski
      NGDF Assistant Online Facilitator

Anonymous

Hello All, I hope someone can help. Next week I have having my whole thyroid taken out. I cannot have RAI treatment due to my TED being so bad. I must say I scared to death over having to have surgery, but this must be done in order to start feeling a little better. Have anyone every had the surgery and can you please tell me what to expect. Also what types of complications may I see after the surgery. I thank you all for being here, for your wisdom and mostly for your understanding. If It wasn’t for all of you, I’m sure I would be locked up in a mental hospital by now. Thank you.

Diane

Anonymous

I know that facing surgery is a scarey time, Diane. Just make sure that your surgeon has up-to-date experience with thyroidectomies, and that he/she does enough of them to assure that they know what they are doing. I use general terms, because I’ve forgotten the data. But there have been posts on it in the past — especially from Jake — and you could try to find them, using the “Search” function on the BB.

I have several friends who have had their thyroids removed for thyroid cancer, and they are just fine. So, the treatment does work — and for us, too.

Wishing you good luck. I know that you’ll be feeling better soon.

Bobbi — NGDF Online Facilitator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.