Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I know flu shots, and all vaccines for that matter, are a hotly debated topic, so I’m not looking for any preaching for or against, but simply some insight from other Graves people.

My previous endocrinologist felt that not enough was known about Graves and flu shots, and wrote a letter to my employer (a hospital that required all employees receive the vaccine) two years in a row stating it was against his medical recommendation for me to receive one. I never got to the flu, thank goodness. I had it during previous winters in both Florida and New England, so I personally benefit from the vaccine.

This year, my town is offering free flu shots to all residents. They are also offering free pneumonia vaccines to “Individuals under age 65 who have a chronic illness, are immune-suppressed, have asthma, are smokers, or are obese.” Technically, I am obese (thanks post-RAI hypothyroidism) and I’m pretty sure Graves is considered a chronic illness.

I realize this is a question for my endocrinologist, and I will ask him when I speak to him next week when I have more labs drawn, but I wanted to know what other Graves patients do as far as vaccines. Both times I was hospitalized with Graves-related symptoms, I was offered both the flu and pneumonia vaccines. I declined because I knew they would tack it onto my already-mounting hospital bill.

Keep in mind there is a high likelihood I will spend at least one night in the hospital after my OD in September. I have an afternoon surgery and the surgical coordinator says most afternoon patients are kept overnight simply because it’s better than sending post-op patients home after most doctors are already gone for the day. I plan to beg to be sent home simply because I know too much about MRSA and HAP and all the other nasty things in hospitals.

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hello – I will actually be interested to hear what your doctor says!

I haven’t heard any specific guidance for patients who are post-RAI.

However, I am taking methimazole, and many docs caution patients on anti-thyroid drugs to avoid *live* vaccines. I remember hearing a doc at our Charlotte conference in 2009 state that his personal opinion was that getting a vaccine (not a live one) was worth the risk, even for patients on ATDs.

Bobbi

My doctors always advised FOR getting the vaccine against the flu, and pneumonia. And, now, my GP is advising me to get the shingles vaccination as well. When I was on ATDs, I also was given a flu shot, by a previous GP, but she only gave me half a dose at a time. I think that is because sometimes the ATDs can suppress our white cell count– at least that is the explanation I remember at the time — and she was trying to err on the side of caution: i.e. giving me protection from the flu, but in step fashion rather than all at once.

Darcy43

My Endo has always told me NOT to get the flu shot, nor should I be around anyone who has had the shot.

I will say this…I never received the Flu shots…I moved back up north and decided two years ago to start getting the shot.

A year later I was diagnosed with GD…I don’t know the correlation..but sometimes I wonder…antibodies..etc…

makes me mad but to each his own…

snelsen

I have had flu, shingles and the pneumonia and shingles. All my doctors agree on this, the endo, the internist, my oncologist and infections disease docs. All stated they could think of no reason not to have them, and very compelling reasons to have them, that Graves’ was irrelevant to these decisions. I am relieved to have them, and will continue to get the flu shots every year.

As gatorgirly said, sometimes immunizations of any kind are rejected by some people. It is a hotly debated topic. Of interest, at this time we have had a whooping cough epidemic on one of the islands in my area, where many parents do not immunize their children. As a result of this, pharmacies are offering free pertussis shots. Also various Chicago areas, and some places in North Carolina. But this is unrelated to Graves’, just interesting.

Of course, in completely unrelated situations, like chemo, bone marrow transplants, and anyone who is seriously immunosuppressed, it is a different situation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.