Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

to Steph.
      Do the best you can to weigh the pros and cons of RAI and surgery. It is definitely true that there are now some evidence based studies urging strong consideration to RAI, if there is eye involvement. But they pretty much say that it can be managed and treated. Please ask lots of questions about this. If RAI is the route you choose, ask what docs will to do to reduce or treat your eye involvement. Eye involvement does not rule out RAI. IT is just another piece of information you need to know,and your doc should be aware of.

I suggest trolling the internet is not helpful. Except for this site, which carefully monitors everything,and is reliable.

Guess what?? You will be on the other end of all this, and can resume your life without thinking about Graves’ every minute! Yep. This is true!
      Shirley

kennbb

Hi all!

I am new on this forum and wanting to get some loads of info about treatment of Hyperthyroidism. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago but already felt the symptoms on the previous months (2months). My doctor (endocrinologist) prescribed 20mg Tapazole (2x/d) and 40 mg Propranolol (2x/d). I have lost 3 pounds prior to the onset of this disease. After a week taking these medications, my appetite was a bit of a normal level, still having hot flashes and itchiness of the skin.

I am asking for any of your advice regarding my diet. I have been Sodium-Free & Iodine-Free for a week. Despite the fact that most of my modified meals are tasteless, I still continue to be cognizant of this hyper storm. I have been looking for Hyperthyroid patient’s diet but still clueless at all.

Hoping for your kind and supportive response.

Cheers,

Ken
        29 years old
        Teacher from the Philippines

Kimberly
        Online Facilitator

@kennbb – There is really no one agreed-upon diet for Graves’ disease or hyperthyroidism. I’ve heard of a small number of patients who have followed a full-blown low iodine diet, but most doctors generally only recommend staying away from *large* sources of iodine, which can come with supplements and also seaweed wraps.

For patients who are undergoing radioactive scans or RAI treatment, some docs *will* recommend the full low-iodine diet. If you do have to follow this, ThyCa, which is an organization for thyroid cancer survivors, has some great information on low iodine diet:

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

http://thyca.org/rai.htm#diet

Many patients also choose to minimize manufactured foods with unpronounceable ingredients and instead focus on eating whole, unprocessed foods.

In terms of treatment options, the “Treatment Options” thread in the announcements section of this forum includes links to a couple of great resources that go through the pros and cons of RAI, anti-thyroid drugs, and surgery.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.