Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone – I am in a good place from a Graves perspective…on 2.5 mg of tapazole a day with my endo believing I am in remission and easing me off my meds. I know that Graves is associated with emotional trauma, and I am about to separate from my husband. Along with just the incredible pain of that in of itself, I am terrified that I will get sick again. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can best get through this and stay healthy? I can’t imagine getting through it sick. Thanks.

Anonymous

Hi Claire,

Stress can make your symptoms escalate, you’re smart to be thinking of this right now. Stress triggers an adrenaline rush and a boost in your immune system, and since some of your antibodies are destructive to your body, their activity can escalate as well so you end up feeling worse. The best possible thing to do is to find a way to stay calm ~ whatever that means for you. For some of us, it’s watching a funny movie, for others it’s a long hot bath, for others it can be a relaxing drive in a pretty location or a hike in our favorite wilderness. Whatever your “healing” is, use it! Do your best to eliminate activities that suck your energy and don’t have a payback for you. If you need to look at it this way in order to actually accomplish it, remember that you are ill and you need to reserve your resources.

In your specific situation, I would also say that you might want to sit down and list the “triggers” for you with your ex. This is a time when people can be … well, they can be at less than their best behavior, and you need to at least have a little warning of what may trigger your stress responses. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say. Try to imagine responses, within yourself, for the triggers that upset you, and then perhaps you’ll be lucky enough to have those responses kick in when those triggers come up. Forgive yourself if they don’t. Just keep trying. :-)

In the end, if you have an increase in your symptoms, just make sure that you can get a blood test so your meds can be adjusted if you need it. You may want to have a quick discussion with your doctor ahead of time so they can perhaps give you some instructions in case things change in how you feel. This is going to be a tough time. Know that, and protect yourself as best you can.

We’ll be here for you, you can count on that!

~Ski
        NGDF Assistant Online Facilitator

Anonymous

Hi Claire,

I’m glad to hear you might be in remission, but sorry to hear about the separation. I hope you manage it okay.

Ski gave you excellent suggestions. I would only add that before my Graves’ Diagnosis I received some counseling that included stress management. It was about two more years before I got a proper diagnosis, but still the skills I learned in counseling helped me cope during the many rough spells of Graves’, including the interpersonal problems.

There’s no doubt in my mind that this illness adds to the difficulty of maintaining relationships, and of course when they fail, there could hardly be a worse time, since we need stability, help, and support more than ever at this time. I went through that myself.

So, my additional suggestion is that if at all possible, you find a good personal counselor to help replace the support you’ll not have from a spouse or significant other, and to help you cope with the stresses of the separation. This might help you maintain your health.

I hope you can also be with us at the conference!!

Dianne W

Anonymous

Thanks Ski and Dianne. You are both right. Fortunately, we are both thinking first and foremost of our child and getting him through this awful adjustment. Thanks for the great suggestions. I would love to attend the conference again this year. Just am still tentative at this point due to child care issues and everything else right now. I know being by the ocean and with all of you would do me alot of good. Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.