Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Does anyone here take Metoprolol ER?

I have a question about splitting the pill. I know it is Extended Release and that we can’t crush it nor chew it but does anyone here split the pill? Mine has a line in the middle, which leads me to think that splitting it is fine. I asked the pharmacist and she wasn’t too confident about her answer. She said, “people have done it before” or something in the likes of that but did not reassure me that “yes, it can be done and to go ahead and do it”.

Thank you in advance.
      Caro

snelsen

Hmmm. That is weird. Maybe try another pharmacist? That is a good question, since it is scored. Generally, as you know, extended release meds are not to be divided at all.
        Shirley

Carito71

Hello Shirley,

Thank you for your reply. Well, I did more calling around. I left a message with the manufacturer and I’m still waiting on a reply. I did call another pharmacy and asked the pharmacist the question. She said that “yes, since it is scored, it can be cut in 1/2”. I asked her that if that was still okay since it is ER and she said yes b/c it is scored. So, I guess it is okay to cut the ER scored Metoprolol ER pill in 1/2. I tried it and I didn’t have any problems splitting it with my fingers. I was very careful though so as not to loose any pieces to the table or floor. I think some times that is the danger with splitting pills. One has to be very careful doing it so as not to loose any little pieces to the table or floor. When one has pets or children if some falls to the floor it can be dangerous if consumed by them. I think I would recommend trying to get the pill in a lower dose instead of splitting it but I’ve done this many times before and I’m very careful doing it. Anyway, thank you again. I hope all is going good with you.

Caro :)

gatorgirly

Caro,

This doesn’t answer your question but I am on omeprazole for GERD, an it is an ER. However, it’s scored. I buy 20mg (the smallest dose you can buy OTC, which for a while was cheaper than getting it through a prescription) but have successfully weaned down to 10mg with my gastroenterologist’s approval, so I simply cut the pills in half. I highly recommend a pill cutter. You can get one at Target or any drugstore or mass retailer for less than $5. Most now have a safety feature so the blade is covered until it cuts the pill, and the pills remain in a small compartment so you don’t have to worry about them falling into the wrong hands or mouths. And it makes a perfect cut without much lining up. Or, as a last resort, you could use a sharp knife so that you can make a better cut without losing any little pieces.

Carito71

Thank you for the advice gatorgirly. I was thinking about buying a pill cutter and I’m glad you mentioned where I can find it. I saw my Gen. Dr. this week and she prescribed the 25mg (though she had no problem with me cutting the 50mg) so for now that will help but if I need to go lower, the 25mg is also scored and the pill cutter would come in handy then.

Hope all is going well with you.

Smiles,
              Caro :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.