Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

OK my labs are slowing getting into the *normal* range…But I couldn’t stop crying on Friday. A lot of crap happened, lost power in 100 degrees heat, feel helpless, a lot of turmoil inside and I had a massive panic attack. It has only been a year since I was diagnosed and on meds, but I am sure I have had this for quite some time like the rest of you all. Is this normal? I know everyone is different. It is like taking two steps forward and ten steps back. I worry about EVERYTHING. I hate that feeling…like I am on a tightrope without a net. I cannot get it together but I still a a teeny bit of hope that it is darkest before the dawn. Is this normal? Am I alone?

adenure

Yes, yes!!! You are “normal” for being hyper. I cried a lot and had panic attacks- although they weren’t huge- but they were scary! I knew it was because of being hyper bc I knew that the way I was acting was NOT my normal self when I was healthy by a long shot. My primary doctor (who was new to me & it was the first time she saw me) though I had PPD (post partum depression- this was my 4th baby, so I knew it wasn’t. I had PPD with my 1st) and she thought I had an anxiety disorder. I knew it wasn’t that either. I thought I had cracked, but I had it together enough to know that this wasn’t “me”. I too questioned whether I’d ever be myself again and was really scared that I might not be. But, I can tell you that since having the surgery (3 weeks out now), I am pretty darn close to being ME again- :):D What a relief! The physical symptoms are scary, but the mental and emotional ones are worse I think- together, they’re a really scary thing! So, yes, what you’re going through is normal. I did start to feel a little more myself on the methimazole, but I have to say that I feel a whole lot more normal & like myself after the surgery than I did on the methimazole in normal range. Might just be me though- everyone’s different.

Alexis

Darcy43

Thanks so much Alexis. It really helps. My boyfriend thought it was “that time of the month – jerk” it wasn’t. I am seriously considering having the surgery if my labs do not stay in the range because I really want relief. I know I have to be patient and there is not a “one size fits all” treatment. The Methimazole, although provided some balancing, makes me feel miserable and the baldness..lol…that is awful, but the hairloss has stopped. I just called a psychologist so I can learn how to “relax my mind’ which is half the battle. I don’t want to have to take any more pills of anything. It was just really scary. I used to be such a tough cookie. Now, it is like any little thing makes me sensive and thin skinned….

Glad to hear your surgery was huge success. Happy healing Alexis and thanks again.

LaurelM

Hi,

My first time on ATDs I remember it taking about 3-4 weeks before I noticed things changing. At about 3-4 months taking the meds, I felt signficantly better a lot of the time but I would say it took many months at stable levels to feel completly well. I continued to have ‘off’ days for a long time but they became fewer and farther apart until they were gone and I was officially in remission.

Take care!

Laurel

hyperm

Yes! I was off the spectrum I think at one stage with mood swings :):)Completely normal but don’t hide it and speak with someone if you feel that it is becoming out of hand.

I hope your levels start to settle soon x

Carito71

Darcy43,

I’m still on the 4th week of treatment and finally feeling a little bit of a change. I’m still very tired and with symptoms but thank God I don’t feel like I’m dying anymore. At the beginning, one month ago, when it all started and I had to go to the ER with tachycardia, I was worried I was dying. After that, after not sleeping for two weeks, I was worried I wasn’t dying soon enough. I wanted to cry so badly and at times I would cry a little here and there when I was alone but most of the time I tried to keep it in. I probably should have cried my heart out but I didn’t want to worry my poor husband and my parents even more. One day my sister called me and I was crying. I was alone in the house and had just received a call from the Dr. The Dr. wasn’t being helpful at all and I broke down and cried (since then I have gotten a new Dr.). I answered the phone and it was my sister on the other end. I couldn’t stop crying. It worried her. I told her “I’m OK” and hung up and called her right back after a few minutes.

It is very normal. We are going through so so much. We are tired and not feeling well. We have our families to think of and we have responsibilities that even if we are sick, will not come to an stop while we get better. People depend on us and some times things happen that just add up to our frustration. I’m sorry all that stuff happened on Friday. The heat sure is not helping. I went out today and it made me sweat a lot more than I’m already sweating. It was so embarrassing. Hang in there.

Being sick and coping is hard. I’m thinking about getting acupuncture to see if that helps me relax some. Are you doing anything for yourself to help you cope? I some times watch a movie to help me forget. It helps me. I also come to the forum too and share my feelings because this group of new found friends are about the only ones who understand how we are feeling. We have to find ways to cope.

Hope you feel a lot better soon.

Caro :)

catstuart7

I’d say it is definitely normal. I am still struggling with worry/fear attacks. An example that just happened to me an hour ago. I was on my balcony and smelled cigarette smoke. I instantly began to think one of my neighbors has taken up smoking. From there my mind raced to that the smoke would get in my apartment regularly, that they would refuse to stop smoking, that it would make my TED worse, and my eyes would look like the worst possible case and my doctor would refuse to operate and I’d become an isolated hermit and have a complete nervous breakdown. Don’t worry, I’ve calmed down now. But that’s all it took, one little whiff of smoke that could have come from even a passerby. I have to fight down these attacks every few days and right now I have normal thyroid levels but still suppressed TSH. So hang in there, I think it is just rough for a while and keep holding on to an “observer” in your brain who can help calm you down while the rest of your brain runs off to crazy-town.

Bobbi
                    catstuart7 wrote:
                    So hang in there, I think it is just rough for a while and keep holding on to an “observer” in your brain who can help calm you down while the rest of your brain runs off to crazy-town.

LOL, catstuart7! A great way of putting things.

Darcy43

Thanks for your helpful replies. I am trying my best to hold on. It has been 1 year, first I felt great, then not so great. Highs and Lows for sure. I have been really active (movies, concerts, ballets, etc.) as distractions but then there are the “Hours.” It gets hard but this board really helps. Instead of one day at a time, I need to focus on one hour at a time. It is now 11:52 EST and I am not crazy, crying, yelling….

Breathe in breathe out…

I am going to try accupuncture again also. I used to do it all the time years ago (before Graves…go figure).

ncpatches

Normal for me too, my boss said I’m unstable, go figure.
                        Good luck with that one, girl!

JustLeslie

Oh Lordy, girl! You’re in good company. Even my last dr made a comment about me being “overly emotional”. The heat affects my emotions significantly as well– if it’s hot (like it has been here!) I want to either scream or cry. The heat also exausts me- and the more exhausted I am the more of a mess I am. Between the emotions and the constant hunger, I feel like its ALWAYS that time of the month. Lol. :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.