Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

My “fifth” was actually my third and they are triplets. That was over 7 years ago. Hence, why I don’t think stress is my trigger.

Momof5

I also don’t think it was stress because I have lost three family members in the last six years. Bloodwork has been normal up until February and it went out of control.

This has been one of the least stressful years of my life in the last 10. So, I am looking elsewhere for triggers.

Stymie

Hi mom,

Just wondering if your body just got used to being stressed all the time and when you finally got back to a normal state that’s when your body reacted…

I’ve read many an article about graves and other auto immune diseases. Seems we are prone to specific ones. Rheumatoid arthritis and celiac to name a few.

Autoimmune diseases run in my family. My gram had a goiter and my mom had lupus and was hypo. My sister has hashimotos disease and my other sister is hypo but not sure if its hashi’s or not. Both of my nieces have celiac.

I’ve read that you should try to remove all toxic cleaners from your home, eat WHOLE clean foods, exercise, keep away from sweets and saturated fats as well as tying to reduce your stress levels.

I’m trying to do them all, but its quite a challenge with a 15 year old that hates veggies, and a 20 year old that is trying to make me go physically insane!

Lol.

Anyway. Just my take on the sitch.

D

Momof5

It could be – and I may never know. But, I have taken better care of myself this past year than I have my entire life and I cut out a lot of processed foods, soda, etc, so I don’t get it.

I guess going back to my original questions is that I wonder if there was a “specific” trigger that someone could identify and if you can identify that trigger, and eliminate it (we all know we can’t completely eliminate stress), will you improve your immune system to the point of resolving the GD.

adenure

I was thinking the same thing as Stymie. Sometimes our bodies get so used to a crazy lifestyle, that when we get to relax, it doesn’t know what to do. When I was dealing with daily headaches after my TT, I went to a headache class through Kaiser. The neurologist said that this is normal- that when we’re “on” all the time, we’re fine. As soon as we can relax, the headache hits. The body keeps up as long as it can and then when it can finally relax, maybe it just sort of falls apart a bit. I don’t know- just a thought.

emmtee
                adenure wrote:
                Sometimes our bodies get so used to a crazy lifestyle, that when we get to relax, it doesn’t know what to do. When I was dealing with daily headaches after my TT, I went to a headache class through Kaiser. The neurologist said that this is normal- that when we’re “on” all the time, we’re fine. As soon as we can relax, the headache hits. The body keeps up as long as it can and then when it can finally relax, maybe it just sort of falls apart a bit.

The first time I ever heard of this was when I heard Susan Olsen (who played Cindy Brady) speak about her migraines. She had them even as a child. She’d be fine while they were filming the Brady Bunch season, and then she’d have to miss the wrap party at the end because of severe migraines.

They’re common enough that they have a name: “Let Down Migraines.” I get them too. Years ago when my migraines were worse, I spent many Christmas afternoons in bed.

Stress is a pretty common migraine trigger as well. When we talk about stress, we tend to think of emotional stress, but I think physical stress is a factor as well. When I got my first migraines in my early 20’s, I remember it was after I had two really bad colds a month apart. Both times, I pretty much stayed in bed for a week and was really tired and headachy. My migraines always make me really tired (sometimes the fatigue is worse than the headache) and I think those may have been my first migraines.

Regarding stress being a Graves’ trigger – I wonder if the stress might be cumulative. Unfortunately, most of us will never really know why we won the Graves’ lottery.

WWWI2

I was diagnosed with my first AI in 2008. I have no solid proof, but the medication I was taking at the time has been implicated in several studies as the trigger. I have no real AI disease’s in my family tree. They also say that once you have an AI you have a predisposition to more. 2010 I was diagnosed with Celiac and this past August (2012) Graves’. So I would hypothosize that the increase in AI diagnosis has a connection to environmental factors (meds, foods, toxins) for some of us. But it’s just a theory…

WWWI

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.