Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anyone have any ideas on when my hair when start to get back to normal? Did anyone color and style or did you wait until you were healthier with normal hair growth?

It’s such a vain question in light of the more serious suffering of this disease but I can’t find any reliable answers so I thought I’d ask my fellow GD fellows.

Thanks for your input!

Bobbi

Basically, the body “considers” our hair and nails to be non-essentials, so when we are ill nutritional resources tend not to get to hair and nails and they become more fragile. Hair and nails are the first things to lose nutritional resources and the last things to get them back as we get healthy again.

I was advised by people to treat my hair very gently during the time I was ill hyperthyroid. I stopped perming. My long-time hairdresser refused to put any type of harsh chemical on my hair. I have also heard that coloring is hard on hair. I tried to do a very casual style that required little to no “fussing,” and certainly no “teasing.”

Darcy43

GL022 you are not alone. I have cried buckets about losing my Rapunzel mane. However, to get by, I bought a lipstick like wax that I could touch up my roots (I have naturally black hair due to heritage), but because I am in my ahem 40s (and I heard GD has a lot to do with it supposedly) I have a bunch of gray hair coming to the forefront around my temple. In the past I never used a permanent dye, only a rinse or semi permanent that did not contain ammonia (sp?). I have not used that however since diagnosis, and I am being extermely gentle with the hair as Bobbi said. I have upped my vitamins and minerals per my doc (biotin great for hair and nails, evening primrose lessens hair loss ALOT) so do what you can but it does get better. I am going on nearly a month without hair loss and excessive shedding (finally). It was a year of hell…I thought I would for sure be bald but I’m not. Hang in there, try your very best to stay calm and get creative, scarves, hats, loose ponytails, clips, even clip on hair pieces all work fine. I am sure you are a beauty inside and out.

I have the same concerns, nothing wrong with being a little vain….you gotta love yourself or no one else will :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.