Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I posted some info a while back on this suppliment, here’s one of the studies done:
      http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/86/8/3579.full

Quote:
      In conclusion, l-carnitine is effective in both reversing and preventing symptoms of hyperthyroidism and has a benefical effect on bone mineralization. Because hyperthyroidism depletes the body deposits of carnitine and since carnitine has no toxicity, teratogenicity, contraindications and interactions with drugs, carnitine can be of clinical use.

There has been others, and if you google “Dr Salvatore Benvenga Thyroid Carnitine” there is a variety of information about its use.

Carnitine is used by the body in normal metabolic function in the mitochondria, so is related to energy supply for the body, many chronic diseases deplete carnitine levels further aggravating symptoms.

My partner has used it right through her treatment period and found it helped her particularly with the brain fog and muscle fatigue.

mslux

Hi Harpy,

Thanks for the link. I’ll follow up on it and do some research. I’m being treated with the ATD Carbimazole with a hope for remission, similar to your partner’s treatment approach. Depending on the severity of the condition and how it is affecting the patient they are very open to this approach here in Europe.

I have to be careful as my liver has been slightly compromised by the Graves but I have also read about the data supporting the use of selenium for eye health. What else have you both found to be of particular use?

I have extreme fatigue, brain fog and a removed kind of feeling at times that could best be described as slightly ‘numb’. It’s not as bad as some people’s unwellness but it is concerning. Any info you feel might help, or studies done, I’d love to have a look at.

Thanking you,

Ms Lux.

Stymie

Hi

Thanks for posting this great info!

Would this be beneficial for people who still have a functioning thyroid only? Or would it help people who have have a TT or RAI?

Thank you!

D

Harpy
            Stymie wrote:
            Hi

Thanks for posting this great info!

Would this be beneficial for people who still have a functioning thyroid only? Or would it help people who have have a TT or RAI?

Thank you!

D

Carnitine is used fairly widely in a variety of areas, I do know of non thyroid individuals that have used it, some did gain benefits, some didn’t notice any changes.
            I used it for a few months just to see if I’d notice anything, no impact on me one way or another, but I don’t have a condition, most of the data suggests minimal risks as it is part of normal body metabolism so I imagine it would be ok to try although you should do your own research and talk to your doctor first.

Harpy
              mslux wrote:
              Hi Harpy,

Thanks for the link. I’ll follow up on it and do some research. I’m being treated with the ATD Carbimazole with a hope for remission, similar to your partner’s treatment approach. Depending on the severity of the condition and how it is affecting the patient they are very open to this approach here in Europe.

I have to be careful as my liver has been slightly compromised by the Graves but I have also read about the data supporting the use of selenium for eye health. What else have you both found to be of particular use?

I have extreme fatigue, brain fog and a removed kind of feeling at times that could best be described as slightly ‘numb’. It’s not as bad as some people’s unwellness but it is concerning. Any info you feel might help, or studies done, I’d love to have a look at.

Thanking you,

Ms Lux.

Will have a chat to my partner and get back to you.

Stymie

I’ve read selenium is a thyroid support vit. Anyone read anything about this?

I was taking a smll amount of selenium prior to bing diagnosed with graves, was wondering if it contributed…

D

mslux

Hi Stymie,
                  I have created a new post with some research info on the use of selenium in the treatment of Graves eye disease.

Kimberly
                  Online Facilitator

Just a quick note that it looks like this acts on the *symptoms* of hyperthyroidism and not the hyperthyroidism itself (sort of like a beta blocker).

Although this particular study says there were no adverse effects, it was done in 2001…so I would definitely encourage members to check with their own docs before adding this to your regimen.

Kimberly
                    Online Facilitator

Just ran across this piece from HarvardHealth on L-Carnitine: “I would definitely think three times before taking an L-carnitine supplement.”

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/new-study-links-l-carnitine-in-red-meat-to-heart-disease-201304176083?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=041713-pjs1_tw

Pretty much any medication or supplement will come with risks and benefits, but it’s always a good idea to make sure your doc knows about all medications *and* supplements that you are taking.

snelsen

I would think many, many times before taking this supplement. I read Kimberly’s reference in the past few days, as well as others. Cardiology, and The Heart, to name a couple.
                        Shirley

Harpy

That particular study has already been widely discussed elswhere and entire study and the conclusions drawn are of dubious value.
                          It consists of a series of experiments on mice with a defective cholesterol transport gene, poorly controlled human trial one vegan and five omnivores and an small epidemiological study. From these it has used a series of tenuous threads to draw a conclusion, that at best could only be used to propose a hypothesis that needs to be tested with a fully controlled trial.

It does not attempt to answer significant confounders such as the data currently available that show’s the particular bacteria in question is much more prevalent in the GI tract of individuals on grain based diet’s, or the variability of bacterial levels in it’s small cohort, which suggest those outcomes may simply be due to experimental error.

They have also used L Carnitine, which is known to have a lower absorption rate and is more likely to get to lower intestine and be exposed to bacterial fermentation,
                          where as the natural form found in meats is Acetyl L(Levo) Carnitine is highly absorbed in the small intestine.

They have also ommitted discussion of the fact that Carnitine in it’s various forms is an essential part of everyones metabolism and is used in a wide variety of metabolic processes particularly in the transport of fatty acids across the mitochondrial membrane to provide energy for normal cellular function.

They have also failed to discuss the fact that the overwhelming evidence from previous “clinical” trials in fully controlled studies show a wide variety of benefits and improved health outcomes of carnitine supplimentation.

The one below, a meta analysis of previous trials specifically relating to heart disease, the topic in question, the conclusion being:
                          http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025619613001274

Quote:
                          Conclusion

Compared with placebo or control, L-carnitine is associated with a 27% reduction in all-cause mortality, a 65% reduction in VAs, and a 40% reduction in anginal symptoms in patients experiencing an acute myocardial infarction. Further study with large randomized controlled trials of this inexpensive and safe therapy in the modern era is warranted.

As for the red meat component, any evidence there from previous studies was primarily epidemiological where the confounders of diet were not adequately controlled as the data was self reported and the consumption of a take away burger or hot dog was included as red meat consumption, somehow it is not considered that the additives or the big fluffy sugary bun may be having an impact on health outcomes.

Press releases and news reports on diet can pretty much be ignored as when taken in totality they cancel out entirely, “everything is good and bad for you”.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.