Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hurray! The bloodwork I had drawn yesterday validated the way I’ve been feeling . . . I’m hyper! No, I’m not thrilled that I’m not at a good level but I am thrilled that the test results confirmed what I suspected. It would really be frustrating to feel this way and have the doc say my levels are “fine”.

I can’t tell you what my numbers are except that the TSH is still at .01. I asked the assistant what the other numbers were and she, of course, didn’t know. All she had was a note that was written by the doctor for her to read to me on the phone. “Yes, you are over-medicated as your TSH is still at .01. Switch from 125 mcg to 112 mcg and see me in six weeks.”

I was tempted to call back and insist on the other numbers but I need to choose my battles and this one doesn’t really matter. All I wanted from this call was the confirmation that my Levothyroxine dose was too high and I got it. When I get blood drawn again in 6 weeks I will be going to his office two days later and will get copies of the lab reports from that visit and yesterday’s.

Can’t wait to feel calm again, to not be feeling like a furnace, and to be able to sleep! Oh, and having the digestive tract slow down would be a wonderful perk, too.

We really do need to learn what every little symptom and feeling means and take charge. I am so glad I went for bloodwork early and didn’t wait the extra weeks until my scheduled appointment.
      Sue

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Great decision to get labs done early – and a good reminder for all of us to trust our bodies and to get things checked out ASAP when we don’t feel right!

Gabe

Good for you Sue!! I’m at 125 and highly suspect I’m hyper….can’t sleep, hot flashes, etc. etc. etc…. I go back in 2 weeks so I’ll know for sure. Things just don’t seem right and I’m convinced I’m hyper. Hopefully 112 is the ideal for both of us. If not, I plan to ask for a thorough study of my T3 conversion…maybe need a supplement like Armour or Cytomel. Hope not, but all options are on the table. 3 months post TT and not feeling exactly as I hoped…not bad but not good either.

Take care…

Karen

SueAndHerZoo
            Gabe wrote:
            Good for you Sue!! I’m at 125 and highly suspect I’m hyper….can’t sleep, hot flashes, etc. etc. etc…. I go back in 2 weeks so I’ll know for sure. Things just don’t seem right and I’m convinced I’m hyper. Hopefully 112 is the ideal for both of us. If not, I plan to ask for a thorough study of my T3 conversion…maybe need a supplement like Armour or Cytomel. Hope not, but all options are on the table. 3 months post TT and not feeling exactly as I hoped…not bad but not good either.

Take care…

Karen

Hi Karen. Pretty soon I think we will know our bodies and each fluctuating level and it’s accompanying symptoms so well that we will pretty much be able to predict what our lab numbers will read.

Question about your comment regarding checking T3 conversion: since I am hyper and you suspect you are, doesn’t that pretty much confirm that we are properly converting our T4 to T3? I thought if we stayed hypo and couldn’t get our TSH down that that might mean we weren’t converting, but since I’m hyper I found comfort in knowing that I was converting properly.

So you’re saying being hyper is NOT confirmation of conversion?
            Sue

Gabe

Sue… sorry if I’ve caused confusion…yet another example of my foggy brain. I think you are right. I just remember hearing somewhere that even once a person is stable on meds (from a blood levels, clinical standpoint) that some docs are willing to introduce a mixture of T3 and T4 because some people feel better and the lingering ‘subjective’ symptoms are alleviated.

Or, I could be totally wrong. Anyone know what I’m trying to say and not saying it the correct way?

Haha,,, just had a similar confusing conversation with a member of my team…could see her looking at me as if I’ve lost my mind. Damn brain.

Cheers, Karen

SueAndHerZoo
                Gabe wrote:
                Sue… sorry if I’ve caused confusion…yet another example of my foggy brain. I think you are right. I just remember hearing somewhere that even once a person is stable on meds (from a blood levels, clinical standpoint) that some docs are willing to introduce a mixture of T3 and T4 because some people feel better and the lingering ‘subjective’ symptoms are alleviated.

Or, I could be totally wrong. Anyone know what I’m trying to say and not saying it the correct way?

Haha,,, just had a similar confusing conversation with a member of my team…could see her looking at me as if I’ve lost my mind. Damn brain.

Cheers, Karen

LOL Sorry to be laughing at your expense, Karen, but I found your mush brain to be quite funny – probably because I can relate so well.

I get embarrassed and frustrated at work when I am standing in front of 6-7 people, have their full attention, am in the middle of speaking about something fairly intelligent, and then a bunch of jibberish syllables come out of my mouth. It’s not like a stutter, it’s more like a bunch of alien-language comes out of my mouth all of a sudden. Don’t know if it’s a result of the TT but it never happened before. I’m going to chalk it up to the exhaustion our bodies are still dealing with (along with the recovery). That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

I’m also going to assume that if I went hyper on Levothyroxine that I am converting T4 to T3, until I hear otherwise. Lord knows I have enough to worry about – I don’t need to get phobic about “not converting” again like I was the first few weeks after surgery.
                Sue

Kimberly
                Online Facilitator

Hi Sue – If your doc ordered a T3 test as part of your panel, the lab results will tell the full story. However, keep in mind that the majority of patients do just fine on T4 alone. As Karen noted, the time to think about T3 issues is if your levels are normal/stable after a period of time (the European Thyroid Association recommends 6 months) and you are taking the meds properly – but you still aren’t feeling well.

SueAndHerZoo
                    Kimberly wrote:
                    Hi Sue – If your doc ordered a T3 test as part of your panel, the lab results will tell the full story. However, keep in mind that the majority of patients do just fine on T4 alone. As Karen noted, the time to think about T3 issues is if your levels are normal/stable after a period of time (the European Thyroid Association recommends 6 months) and you are taking the meds properly – but you still aren’t feeling well.

Hi Kimberly. Unfortunately my endo is one that does not believe in testing for T3 after a TT. He gave me a long, scientific dissertation on why and he quoted tons of medical publications from the last 10 years with the various changes in thinking but he personally does NOT believe in it. When I pushed him on it he said he has hesitantly tested a few of his patients and tried them on T3 supplement and that it has never proven effective.

I’ve already been researching other endos in my area and may go have a consult with one in the near future. If I can get my levels in a good place with the original doc then I may just continue to use him for my yearly or bi-yearly check ups but if I can’t get feeling well after 6 months to a year I will go elsewhere.

Sue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.